A-AA Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-AA Message Board

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post Greenwood Ironman

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lex L.

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post Greenwood Ironman Empty
PostSubject: Post Greenwood Ironman   Post Greenwood Ironman Icon_minitimeSun 3 May - 17:40

To all the people that hold the Ironman.......Thanks. We had fun and got some good matches in.
A LOT of people should take notes from you on how to run a spring tournament. Your hospitality was great (That was awesome having meal comps at the tournament and at Firehouse Subs). It was also nice to be at a tournament and be able to FULLY UNDERSTAND what is being said on the microphone.
After seeing that trophy and knowing if I brought close to a full Pitbull Squad and entered the "Ironman Team Competition, we would have smoked everyone..........I may break my spring rule and have the kids compete in Folkstyle next year on Sunday. So everyone look out next year. You might as well put Pitbull Wrestling on that thing when you order it.

I wish I was able to bring more than three from Pitbull, but we still had a blast. There were some fun matches to watch. High School 135 was a good weight class. I was glad to see some of the matchups for Wolfe there.

I hope to see you all at the USA sate and MORE IMPORTANTLY, SE REGIONALS! Let's represent SC.
Pitbull will be going to NC this coming weekend.

Thanks,

The Bad Guy.
Back to top Go down
GWDdad

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post Greenwood Ironman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post Greenwood Ironman   Post Greenwood Ironman Icon_minitimeMon 4 May - 10:51

We were down about 40% on attendance this year. Apologies to everyone on the bracketing delays - we simply just had a lot of local kids that didn't show up. I'll also apologize to any ES parents if the brackets didn't work well. We tried to maximize mat time for everybody with a handful of kids. I didn't hear any complaints at the time, but I know there were likely some parents who didn't like the way we combined weights and divisions. We tried our best, but I know some kids were at a disadvantage. Tried to make sure the ones we bumped got to take home an Iron-Man award and T-shirt.

The "Wayne Reeve" Team competition was close - Greenwood YMCA is kicking itself for not entering a team - but they waited too late. Ware Shoals edged Country Kids by 1 point - after we reviewed the results and bout sheets 3 times to determine the winner. Mighty Warriors was only 2 points behind that.

Having Wayne Reeve honored before he went in the hall of fame was a bonus. If you don't know the man - he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet and has dedicated most of his life to wrestling. He started the YMCA program, coached at Laurens, and worked with the Abbeville team this year on their way to the State Championship. I've never see a grin as big as his when he saw his name on the team trophy.

We didn't make a ton of money - most came from concession and gate, but we're in the black and had some good matches. The Clary-Celso match in the back gym on Sunday went to 4 OTs. That match was one that made me glad I came out to try to watch. I only got to see 2 of my son's matches and didn't get to meet a lot of the coaches, but I appreciate everybody who took the time to show up.

Next year we plan to expand our sleepover to allow more teams to stay on the mats. The Cheraw kids enjoyed the pool after a long day in the gym and we can likely accomodate 4-5 teams to help them with travel costs.

Thanks again to everyone who came and made it fun!
David Hollister
Back to top Go down

Post Greenwood Ironman
Page 1 of 1