A-AA Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-AA Message Board

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lex L.

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Empty
PostSubject: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb - 11:42

For those of you interesting in wrestling Freestyle and Greco this spring, below is the tentative schedule:

Weigh-ins for all tournaments scheduled for 8 a.m. to 9 a. m. Wrestling Clinics held at every SC-USAW Tournament from 9:00 am to 10:00 am. Entry fees will be $10 for one style or $15 for two styles.

Date Tournament Site and Address Contact

March 13 Dutch Fork HS 1400 Old Tamah Rd Irmo, SC Ken Wilson 803-606-7050

March 20 Fort Mill HS 225 Munn Road Ft. Mill, SC Chris Brock 803-487-0187

March 27 Hanahan HS 6015 Murray Avenue Hanahan. SC Jamie Lewis 843-224-5658
April 3 Newberry College 2100 College Street Newberry, SC Matt Finley 803-944-0168

April 10 Pickens HS 111 Blue Flame Dr.Pickens, SC Michael Conner Mark Barrett
April 17 St. James HS 10900 Highway 707 Murrells Inlet, SC Matt Anderson 843-602-3061
April 24 Cane Bay HS 1624 State Rd. Summerville, SC Derek Ayers 843-214-0347

May 1 Limestone College 1115 College Drive Gaffney, SC

May 8 Rock Hill HS 320 West Springdale Road Rock Hill, SC Ryan Whitmore 704-668-1426
May 15 West Oak HS 130 Warrior Lane Westminister, SC Jason Tannery 864-710-0779

South Carolina USA Wrestling Freestyle and Greco State Championships
The State Championships will be held on May 22 at Dutch Fork High School 1400 Old Tamah Road Irmo, SC 29063 and will be open to south carolina residents only. The entry fee for State will be $10 a style. For more information contact state chairman Steve Cumbee at 843-209-1597 or Ken Wilson at 803-606-7050.

2009 Southeast Kids/Cadet/Junior Regional Championships

The Gwinnet Center 6500 Sugarloaf Parkway, Diluth, Georgia (Atlanta Area), May 28-30. Contact SC-USAW State Chairman Steve Cumbee 843-209-1597 for more information.

I know it can be difficult to find this information sometimes. I encourage everyone to give it a try. There is no better way to improve on your feet, get better handfighting skills, and mat awareness with the current rules. Great for kids to get out and try new technique without a lot of team pressure. The rules favor scoring and big moves, so matches are usually a lot of fun. Also, if you plan on wrestling beyond high school, this is the best way to get noticed! An SC state title is good for SC, but doing well at Southeast Regionals and Fargo.....opens eyes. Most successful programs have a keen interest in freestyle and still actively compete. Food for thought to all of you who are aspiring to the next level. Don't wait until you finish your senior year and wonder why no good college programs are interested.

There are plenty of tournaments nearby in Florida, GA, and NC to go to as well. I know the Pit Bull Club will be traveling a lot.

Go to the DOGBOWL at Hanahan on March 27th (Sponsored by Pit Bull Wrestling). It will be a great weekend to be in Charleston with all of the bridge run festivities. We are tentatively hoping to have 2x Olympian Plamen Paskalev perform a clinic before the tournament starts. It is also a good opportunity for all of the Hanahan haters to come and get matches against some of the Hawks.

Peace.
Back to top Go down
SickandT

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb - 16:31

Why would you try to host a tournament on the same day as the State Folkstyle tournament???
You guys in charge need to work together instead of competing on the same day.
Back to top Go down
Mondo

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb - 17:20

I didn't see any freestyle tournaments scheduled this weekend.

Even if they were, which they aren't, they are two different styles. Since when are more wrestling opportunities a bad thing?
Back to top Go down
1-1/2 Nelson

1-1/2 Nelson

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb - 18:48

Mondo wrote:
I didn't see any freestyle tournaments scheduled this weekend.

Even if they were, which they aren't, they are two different styles. Since when are more wrestling opportunities a bad thing?
I bet you won't get 5 wrestlers there younger than the high school level... I agree the more opportunities the better but not competing against each other from the same pool of wrestlers!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb - 18:53

Well get that damn monkey of your back and get out there and do something about it. Get more kids involved.
Back to top Go down
1-1/2 Nelson

1-1/2 Nelson

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb - 19:01

guest wrote:
Well get that damn monkey of your back and get out there and do something about it. Get more kids involved.
What I was inferring was that the kids you would draw to freestyle and greeco are already wrestling folkstyle and will likely be committed to the State Championship. Don't do away with the tournament but reschedule it to another weekend so they have more opportunities and don't have to choose.

And you don't want none of that monkey!
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 9:23

I don't know who "you guys" refers to.

I was just posting the tentative SCUSA Freestyle and Greco. As you can see there are PLENTY of events for someone to attend. If the first event falls on the same weekend as an Middle/kids state, then don't go. There are plenty of high school kids that will miss certain events because of proms and whatever else comes up also.

Understand that the freestyle/greco season starts when it does building towards SE Regionals, then there are Cadet/Junior Duals, FILA's and culminating at Fargo. Is the timeline set more for high school than little kids? Probably, but so are all of those events I mentioned. Some states start sooner than SC does.
I seriously doubt that the schedule that SCUSA made was to offend or exclude anyone from their events. If you have ideas, why don't you contact one of the people listed above? I don't know a lot of them, but I do know that Steve Cumbee is very approachable and is very open to ideas to help freestyle and greco progress in this state. This year I am told they may have championship belts for the state champions...
Back to top Go down
SickandT

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 14:36

Did not mean to shoot the messenger. "You guys" refers to Cumbee and the guys heading up Team Palmetto. It's not so much about SCUSA "excluding" anybody as it is them not seeming to realize or care that the bulk of wrestling kids will be unavailable for their kick-off tourney.
Just wish these guys would get together and work it out for the common good instead of ignoring each other and running on their own agendas.
Back to top Go down
grappled

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 15:35

i agree , but it has got alot better . still some room for improvement , but better nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 16:42

Going back.....when I was in charge......I sat down with them(SCUSA) several times. Their place, their time, their conditions. I was willing and did bend several times. SCUSA just didnt want to work together......beleive me I tried. I swallowed pride and used self humility to promote the two bodies working together. SCUSA just would not work together. Probably why Team Palmetto, Inc is now the state's largest sanctioning body of amateur wrestling and SCUSA is limping along with a little less than a couple hundred members. Team Palmetto has a business model to do what is best for SC. SC FIRST! 99% of monies brought into Team Palmetto is directly spent on SC wrestlers. Not on sending SC referees to Sidney, Dinners for board members, personal loans, etc.

When parties don't come together for what is best it is not always the issue with BOTH. It could be the intolerance, ingnorance, stubborness, and greed of just one.

Michael K. Sanders
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 21:29

Guys, the point of this thread was just to post the tentative schedule so that people who may not know about freestyle or greco can get the information. I have had a lot of people approach me at tournaments and such and ask about freestyle, the Pit Bull club, etc.

To take this and twist it into "SCUSA" did such and such way back when and Team Palmetto has a business model" is pointless. I understand that some including mksanders have a hard time letting go of things that were done by people before. It was before my time coaching in freestyle in SC so I don't know the particulars. Truth be told, I don't care. I was just trying to encourage people to try it out. Always being confrontational and trying to belittle SCUSA or freestyle and greco in the state is counter-productive. Whether you or any other people in the state like it or not, Those are the international styles. If kids have aspirations to truly evolve as wrestlers, and get to the next level, encourage them to wrestle freestyle and greco. Taking every opportunity to bash free/greco or USA Wrestling who sanctions the tournaments accomplishes what? More kids don't compete and stick with folkstyle and get how much better relative to the other states in the country???

As I said before, it is an opportunity to try something new in wrestling and expand your technique. It is not for everyone (obviously), but if you compare the success of the wrestlers who compete in freestyle in greco versus those who don't, it is a no brainer. The percentage of those who do that are state champions and/or successfully compete in Div I versus those that don't is astounding.

mksanders, all the stuff you brought up was well before Steve Cumbee was in charge. Thus far, I have found him to be VERY approachable and open to new ideas. He has a mind of his own and has gone against a lot of what the old school guys wanted. I don't think it is fair to lump him in with what others may have done in the past. And I agree with you, that a lot of that was horses--t.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 22:19

Good points Lex..... don't get me wrong not bashing FS/GR. You won't find many more a proponent of FS nor GR than I. In fact, GR is by far my favorite style. Absolutley love it!!! Was a FS/GR State champ myself. Wasnt the intent of my post. Not even an opponent of USA wrestling. Beleive me I am well versed in the history of USA wrestling. But not at the cost of putting national goals before the goals and needs of SC wrestling and SC wrestlers. I will not apalogize for putting SC wrestlers first. I as well as many other states....MI, NJ, OH, PA, NY, etc have changed their business model to reflect the same we have adopted in SC. Go check out myway..... lol no not amway lol there is even a few interviews with Dave Dean on Flowrestling.

Now as far as belittling an organization that is something they will have to live with. You cant just say "well, that was the past". Hmmm, well I guess you could but others of us chose to move foward with a more effective organization that puts more back into our state.

The point of post was to make sure it is known that effort was made on my part, many times to come to a working relationship with SCUSA. I even met with national directors of USA. By the way, the national office of USA agreed with me and urged SCUSA to work with me ......but SCUSA still would not. I just wanted it to be clear when the statement was made...."We wish both organizations would work together"......it is known.....one organization(me)....was making the effort. Others that read this forum can verify this.
Back to top Go down
guest1

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 22:58

mksanders, I think Lex was just trying to get the word out about freestyle and greco. It is often hard to get good info on those styles in this state. I don't think he intended to dredge up the whole problems of the past between AAU-USA etc. Not so many years ago there were almost no opportunities for a kid to wrestle in the state except organized school stuff. If our biggest problem now is having two events on the same day...well I think we should just be happy and move on.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 23:09

Just answering the comment:
"You guys in charge need to work together instead of competing on the same day."

Just making sure the poster knew that was attempted. SCUSA made their bed.

Opportunities for SC wrestlers is great. Was the whole premis why Team Palmetto was created.

And talking about opportunity. Any an all can come and wrestle at The Palmetto duals for free......SC wrestlers wrestle for free. Plus get to watch the College division wrestle FR preparing for University Nationals.

Um, and by the way lex....that schedule must be out of date. The Palmetto duals are at Newberry College April 1-3......not a SCUSA event.
Back to top Go down
financial guru

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb - 23:28

On May 1-2 we have the Palmetto Ironman in Greenwood. F/S Greco on sat and folkstyle on sun. Also on April 17 we are working on having a College Challenge f/s greco along with the tots thru High school. Both dates are Nuway tournaments. I have talked with SMC Newberry and Limestone and they are interested in coming.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 0:03

Thanks for the post Guru.
Do the kids with USA Cards have to buy a separate NUWAY card for the Greenwood Ironman? After awhile things get expensive. I know we are hitting tournaments in other states and are able to use our USA cards. Buying a separate card for one tournament is tough.

MK~That schedule is just what I pulled off the web. That Is why I put tentative. Believe it or not, every thread or post about freestyle or greco is not some attack on you, Team Palmetto, or anyone else. This was meant to be informative, so relax. I think it would be beneficial to everyone though, that instead of hijacking a thread like this with he said, she said stuff that a lot of us don't know or care about...just start a new one with whatever gripes or agenda that you feel needs to be put out there. I understand your beef with what previous people in USA Wrestling did here in the state, but no one was calling you out here. I am not, nor was I ever involved in any current or former regime. I am aware of issues that happened before and agree that things were definitely not right. That being said, I simply coach kids in freestyle and greco and enjoy it. So aim your spite towards someone else.

I do hope that the Newberry event is a different day. That was a good tournament last year. The first weekend of April is when our club heads to Jacksonville for the Marine Corps Ironman.
Back to top Go down
financial guru

Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 0:13

Lex, You will need a Nuway card. Are your boys going to NUWAY States?
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 7:11

During the Season, I try to keep tabs on all of the Pit Bull guys, but they are spread out amongst several schools. I am at BE during the SCHSL season and essentially have Geiges only. I know he will be taking some time off to charge his batteries and enjoy a smidge of his senior year. I can't speak for the rest of them yet as they are getting ready for SCHSL state and have probably not put any thought into anything beyond that or freestyle at this point. I am supposed to be meeting with a lot of the club and prospective club kids next week, so we'll see. We are looking at STRONG numbers for Pit Bull Club this year. If anything, I hope to see you at the Greenwood tournament for the freestyle/greco portion at least. You guys always put on a strong event.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 9:51

Lex, please reread......no "hijacking" on my part. More responding to a comment made by another poster. It was brought....I responded. Which I can do....right? Of course I can.....will.....and do. So when the comment is made "wish the two bodies would work together".......it needs to be made VERY CLEAR. One body has made several attempts.

Now, new regime??????Where? Who? I don't think so. Donlick and Wiggs were amongst the "last, old" regime as you called it.......and their still there. So no......not really a change. IF....IF SCUSA really wanted to start anew there would be far easier and better avenues to pursue.....like joining in with Team Palmetto. Oh wait now would be appropriate time to insert the laughing faces. Laughing Laughing Laughing The current regime.....same as it was years ago would not dare sit down and do what is best for the state of wrestling...

Now spite on my part???? Hardly, Nice try though. Any that knows me....know Im as laid back as they come and don't have time nor energy to hold those kind of emotions. This was are fact statements on my part. If it offends you sorry. But you may want to take up with SCUSA.

But trust me my friend....Palmetto Duals are at Newberry on Aprill 1-3. NOT TENTATIVE. I have verified many times with Finley. But hey look at this way.....If kids show up they can wrestle for free......that right lex. SC kids wrestles for free. Against kids from MI, TN, GA, and whomever else shows up. Instead of paying for a $35 card....pay another $15 for entry fee. Just get a nuway card $15 and show up and wrestle. Wow, what an opportunity! Your welcome.

Plus you guys get with Coach Martin(Abbeville) to see how strong of a 1A/2A team you can field to compete with the other classes. We had some great matchups last year. And I think coach Martin is putting together a STRONG 1A/2A team this year. I also think LSO is heading up the MS team again this year. He probably will be there and I think our MS team should be VERY STRONG again this year as they were last year.
Back to top Go down
Wrestlin

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 10:21

I think Lex was saying that he hoped it was the case that SCUSA wasn't having the freestyle tournament (like last year) at Newberry on that date because of some tournament in Florida on the same weekend that his club was going to. I don't think anyone was questioning that Newberry was having another type of event on that day. It also didn't seem like anyone was calling you out.

So is the Newberry event freestyle and greco for everyone or just the college guys?

Thanks and calm down.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 10:38

OK guys seriously......calm as cucumber here. LOL I don't think anyone called me out either. I was just responding to a comment.

Now Wrestlin, to answer your question. Yes all divisions are Folkstyle except College. Just College division is Freestyle because they are prepraring for University Nationals the following week. Which I think is in ???? Help me here Lex.....OH this year?

We are doing the younger guys Folk because we want to prepare Team Palmetto ES, MS, HS for the national events they will be attending.

Should be fun.

Oh, and to just let everyone know.....I am so calm I have to take blood pressure medicine to raise my blood pressure. So Im ok....really I am. lol

Good luck to everyone this weekend. I haven't got to see many of you 1A/2A guys in a while so I am looking forward to that. Please make sure to find me.

Oh lex, also Tim Morrissey ran a free clinic for our ES team last year at the Palmetto duals. Well, it was more like a 3 hour practice. I hate your gonna miss another chance to see our mutual firend.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 11:34

University and FILA Cadet Nationals are 4-08-2010.
FILA Juniors is on 4-22-2010

Yes, I was actually saying that I was hoping the SCUSA Newberry Freestyle/Greco tournament was on a different day because of the Marine Corp Ironmanin the Jacksonville area on that first April weekend. The kids had a blast last year and all requested we go back.

Morrissey...........the "Vanilla Gorilla"
I still have nightmares of him.
Just kidding, I'm sure Tim put's on a heck of a clinic. A great guy for anyone to learn the value of heavy hands and lateral motion from. I still say he is the most underrated collegiate wrestler I know of.

MK-I believe Cumbee will be at state. I would suggest you approach him with any concerns or better yet, ideas. Nice guy. Comes at things from a different perspective than what you may think

Off to state~
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 11:43

rahahaha vanilla gorilla can't agree with you more about Morrissey. Even still to this day he is a beast!!!!! Would love to hear some Tiger wrestling practice stories....I know you have some of Morrisey and Henson. I can listen that stuff all day. I expect at least one from you this weekend.

May just do that with Cumbee. JWIG says he is a stand up guys as well.

Safe travels to all.

Michael K. Sanders
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

Number of posts : 240

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb - 11:58

after a one year boycott of USA the Thompson Creek Takedown Club will be reentering under the direction of Will Gainey. My ties to the club will be limited with my job but I plan to help as much as possible. I am looking forward to the spring season to showcase a lot of our younger guys off that just has not been able to find a spot in our lineup. Not sure what state we will register under. We may register under NCUSAW with a Wadesboro, NC address...just depends on the direction I see SCUSAW take within the first two weeks of the offseason.

I think its time we all begin to re-support USAW and NUWAY since they are both under new leadership. I have never met Buddy Cumbee but I would love to sit down and chat with him about some ideas that I have that would help draw interest back into the fallen sport and hope they can run with them. My biggest downfall is I have all these great ideas but I lack on the follow-through.
Back to top Go down
http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule   Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spring Freestyle/Greco Schedule
Page 1 of 1