A-AA Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-AA Message Board

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lex L.

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Empty
PostSubject: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul - 12:35

What schools and/or counties have travel mandates for tournaments? Heard Berkeley County is issueing a 100 mile limit.
Kind of makes travel to good tournaments tough.
Back to top Go down
new guy

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul - 0:42

100 mile plus no overnight // told it was official last week... might br good for local teams to compete against local teams!?
Back to top Go down
cjs53

cjs53

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul - 11:31

is that no overnight in a hotel or no overnight period? I know a lot of coaches will allow you to stay in their gyms if you ask them ahead of time. We did it last year. Saves a lot of money. We have our kids bring their air mattresses and sleeping bags. Should save a lot of money this year seeing as how all coaches had to get their CDLs. We don't have any travel restrictions yet, but we do have to fundraise to pay for everything, so maybe that's why we don't have any.

Slaughter
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul - 12:02

JUST GO RAISE THE MONEY YOURSELF. We have been doing this for over a decade. We get ZERO dollars from our athletic department. If it were up to them we would not have any overnighters and we couldn't travel past Cheraw. We pay for every dime of travel, hotels, entry fees, meals, etc. Most ADs will give leniancy if a team goes out and raises the necessary money to travel on. Its kinda hard for someone to say you cant spend your money they way you want it.

We have been raising 10K per year for the past decade....in Chesterfield where there is no industry and no money. I know the Columbia and Charleston area teams can easily raise that amount of money. It takes a lot of work and it becomes a year-round job but it is mos def worth the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul - 12:45

If it is just a money thing, then it should not be as much of an issue. Funds can be raised.
But is it just money or is it just a flat out "Don't travel or you shall be smitten" type of thing? that is my question.
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul - 15:09

I think it all comes down to money....at least with most athletic departments. You might have to show them the money upfront so they know they will not get stuck with a bill six months down the road. But what kinda of pompus, arrogant AD would dare say "you still cant travel to Columbia or Greenville, even if you have the money upfront."
Back to top Go down
grappled

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul - 18:05

does not matter if you raise money or not, berkley county teams cannot travel past the 100 miles or stay overnight. coach adkins told me that today.alien
Back to top Go down
a-town

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul - 20:22

Ya'll are just making excuses to pad your records with easy teams. you had your chance last year and got dogged at Lakeland, against Loris, and at state.
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul - 21:41

if this is the case then it will severely thwart Hanahan's chances of winning a title. I'm not sayin it cannot be done, but I hate to see great future studs like Johnson who will have a much more difficult time developing when you are wrestling Stall and Timberland 4 times per year.
Back to top Go down
grappled

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 5:58

a-town, you sure dont know anything about our area, 10 min, away from fort dorchester and summerville. if we get stuck wrestling local teams, it is going to give us great matches
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 9:15

Around Charleston, you do have some stinkers, but there are also two of the best teams in the state annually in Fort D & Summerville assuming schedules can match up. They are Dorchester county though. I don't know if they are having similar restrictions.
Aside from those two power houses, the Charleston area has a good number of teams that are soild in most years. Not to mention several schools that usually have a few studds sprinkled through their lineup:
Stratford
Wando
Goose Creek
Berkeley
Battery Creek
Blufton (we all know Blufton likes to wrestle small schools)
Hilton Head
Beaufort
West Ashley
James Island
Ashley Ridge
Bishop England
Bamberg

Of course there is the Stall's, Burke's, N. Charleston's, Timberland's, etc.
Overall their is a lot of quality in the Charleston area.

I'm sure Hanahan or whoever would be very accommodating to get other schools like Chesterfield, Loris, and then all those greenville/greenwood area schools that seem to just wrestle each other all the time, down to Charleston for a weekend dual getting everyone plenty of matches. I know that they know how to run events VERY efficiently.

LSO, Don't worry about JJ he has gotten a TON of quality wrestling in the off season and will pick it up pre season with trips to Florida and such. He has improved ten-fold from last year and goes above and beyond to find competition be it bigger kids, national events, etc. His goals are beyond South Carolina High School League stuff.

Back to top Go down
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 14:28

Whoa Whoa Lex.

Greenville/Greenwood schools seems to just wrestle each other??????? I will not comment on Greenwood but would have to contest the comment about Greenville county?? Not sure where that is coming from?

Now I will admit bias.....and can give you numerous examples of state champs....placers not even placing in the Gville county tournament.

1st, Greenville county has more schools in one county than any. And pretty sure they all but one????? have wrestling teams....in ONE county. So if you want to debate....hmmm then one say....that would only seem natural. Lets take any GVille county schools????.....mmmm go with woodmont. Woodmont could wrestle 17 schools and never wrestle the same school twice within county lines. So prolly not a good arguement about Greenville County.

2nd The two big wrestling schools in Hillcrest and Eastside get out alot! Would may even argue more than anyone. In fact Hillcrest and Eastside kids usually get a bad seeds at SC tournaments because they wrestle out of state more than in state. Heck, one year Eastside was undefeated in the state....Killed everyone in state...but was not even the number one seed in the 3A playoffs cause they got beat in out of state matches. Even had to travel in first 2(?) rounds of playoffs because of seeding...and still killed everyone by 30 points or more. Jack just rather get the out of state competition and will take the lower seed.

Hillcrest wrestles more out of state competition than in state. Wrestles in TN, NC, GA. at some of the toughest southern tournaments there are. In fact is invited to Collins Hill(last years #5 ranked team in the country) this year. McCallie.....Gwinnett. When Hillcrest went to GVille county most all Ram wrestlers were lower seeds but finsished higher. Same at Southern Slam. Due to out of state records Hillcrest kids got lower seeds.....but again finished higher than their given seed.

Now throw in the off season. Hillcrest kids....either as individuals or teams....competed in Ohio, VA, FL, Fargo, Charleston, ....list goes on. Tommy's goal is to get his kids 100 off season matches.....um...out of state...in the off season.

Hillcrest and Eastside have in years past been to the Beast of the East. Going to those type of tournaments and having more matches out of state than in state....kinda debunks your broad swipe analogy of Greenville county kids only wrestling only each other.

Pretty sure I seen Woodmont and Mauldin going to GA and NC. Even the private schools are traveling to NC, TN, and GA.

See remember. The upstate...in particular Greenville county.... sits in a pretty good location....geographically and wrestling hot bed wise as well......1 1/2 hours from Atlanta. 1 1/2 hours from Charlotte....2 1/2 hours from Chattanooga. 3 hours to Pakland (Winston Salem. You can get some pretty tough matches.

Now out of the 18 - 20 private and public schools in Gville county you can easily find schools that never leave county lines. But the general statement you make of GVille county schools is unwarranted.
Back to top Go down
nogofarg

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 16:00

I am confused. Is Jackson the second coming of Geiges or the third coming of Stanley?
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 16:30

Take it easy Weezi.
I know you love Hillcrest, Eastside, etc. I was referring to what has been known as common knowledge about most of the teams in those areas. Specifically the 1a/2a teams (this is a 1a/2a board right?). I'm sure they all travel everywhere and that you can find statistics blah, blah, blah. I rarely see any results of those teams wrestling much other than themselves regularly. I don't see them down here. I would like to. Since apparently they do travel a lot, maybe you could have them swing by Charleston, beat up on the lowcountry teams, and then hit the town for some great food, culture, and good looking women.

Thanks Pal!

Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 17:36

Good looking woman and great food!!!!!???? Im sold! I need to come whether Hillcrest comes or not. lol

culture??? Well out of the towns we travel to....The towns of Charlotte or Atlanta may argue about culture. I would guess. I certainly wouldn't.....not a culture guy.....just an ol country boy from Moonville. lol

But not sure after 2....maybe 3 trips to Atlanta, 2 trips to Chatanooga, Charlotte, and Winston Salem I can talk Tommy to Chucktown.....??? Especially all the coaching staff being married.....but heck I will be there!!! lol

In Greenville county there is only one?? now two? 1A/2A schools?? Right? Out of 18 or so Wrestling schools(private and public) So I just assumed you menat ALL Greenville county schools.

Lets see from my bad memory.
1A/2A Schools in GVILLE County?
Carolina Trojans(restarting program with DiCarlo from Anderson via GA)
Christ Church

What was it 3??? 4??? years ago came down to Summerville for a dual? Summerville never came back up. Great 3??? point match. Match of the night was Blanton/Oddo.. With Oddo pulling out a narrow win. Fun to watch 3A and 4A State champs go at it!

Um.....and saying a Hillcrest guy "loves" Eastside cause they are in the same county is like saying Clemson loves Carolina..... May be close geographically but are crosstown rivals.

Let me know when....and Ill come back down to chucktown. Smile

Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 18:38

Ok. Whoever or whatever in the upstate. It would be nice to see them travel down here. And Please don't claim Three years ago an upstate team travelled down to wrestle Summerville. I am talking in general.

Comparing Atlanta and Charlotte to Charleston is like comparing McDonald's to Five Guys or In-n-Out burger.
Back to top Go down
DRANK

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul - 21:47

I think Lex's generalization about "Greenville area" upperstate teams not traveling to lowerstate is more in relation to the more prominent Skyline and Region 2 AA teams? Just about all of the Greenville County teams are 3A or 4A. Few if any of the 2A teams are actually in Greenville County, but are in the "Greenville area" - Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg. Examples - Woodruff, Crescent, Broome, Chesnee, Palmetto, Walhalla, Abbeville, Liberty...and so on. Correct me if I am wrong Lex.

I agree, on certain points, with Lex and Mike. Generally speaking, it is closer and cheaper for example for Crescent to go to GA, Walhalla to go to Enka, Broome and Woodruff to stay home and wrestle the Dormans and Hillcrests, than it is to travel 4-5 hours to Charleston. And in SOME cases these teams will get equal and arguably better competition staying closer to home. Chesterfield takes great advantage of their proximity to the powerhouse NC schools. On the other hand, some of these teams/coaches (you know who you are) also tend to be more "comfortable" staying close to home and generally being the big fish in a smaller pond, and you deserve to be called out by Lex. Examples - going to Hartwell GA to be the big dog in a lame tournament, and thumbing your nose at a southern slam invite to drive further to get to Woodmont... jeeez.

For examples of upstate teams taking advantage of their geographic location to get top competition look no further than Westoak, Eastside, and Hillcrest. In my mind the proof's in the puddin' with those programs - great coaching and great competition breed consistent success.

Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul - 1:52

Our schedule is far from done, but I think you will notice the lack of local teams. Cheraw is only on our schedule once. We are staying out of state next season.

Dec. 3-4 Southern Slam Greenville, SC
Dec. 8 Chapin, Lugoff Lugoff
Dec. 15 Scotland, TBA HOME
Dec. 17-18 WRAL Inv. Raleigh, NC
Dec. 21-22 Ram Rumble HOME
Dec. 28-29 Bulldog Duals Lyons, GA
Jan. 6 Piedmont, Butler Matthews, NC
Jan. 8 Viking Duals Cameron, NC
Jan. 10 Sumter, D. Fork Sumter, SC
Jan. 17 MLK Duals HOME
Jan. 22 Sumter Duals Sumter, SC
Jan. 28 Region Duals Richburg, SC
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul - 7:55

LSO,
Check your email.

And chesterfield has always travlled all over. I have seen them in Hilton Head, Lakeland Duals, southern Slam, etc. Pretty much cover the corners.
Back to top Go down
new guy

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul - 17:42

hey lso,,,
nice schedule!1 great competition all season.. good luck
posting info on this site has become a rather tedious and meticulous "passion" .. trying to absord the important info from the crap...
this issue of "just raise the money and go" does not work, as any educator will tell you.. If the district says no overnight, 100 mile limit,,,,thats it!!! period.
i just hoppe that coaches in all sports are receptive to change..charleston is covered with 4A schools... they have everything to loose and not much to gain...what say you lex?
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul - 21:51

no email....and I had a double, animal style, at In N Out today.
Back to top Go down
grappled

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul - 6:47

Is Berkley County the only one hit with these restrictions?
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul - 8:07

LSO knows what's up with In-n-Out.
I wish they would come out east. Damn I'm envious!

LSO~Hawk Invitational Jan 15th/one day event 16+ teams. Ran into Coach Adkins the other day. He said he would love to have you guys down. One of the fastest run events, great hospitality room, good one day event. Email him when you can. Also you guys may be able to put your heads together to set up some quality 5 dual events down here on an off day.

As for the restrictions, I have not heard about the other counties, but I would not doubt it as a lot of the upstate teams east od Columbia do not seem to travel far from their area. that may just be choice though.
Back to top Go down
Guest1

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul - 17:43

Point your chubby finger at the upperstate 1A-2A for not traveling to lowerstate while they produce about 70% of the state placers every year? Seem to recall you run your smack about all these lowerstate kids being on another level and then they don't place top 4... in SC? What up wid that dawg? Face it without Chesterfield being considered lowerstate the "true lowerstate" would be stankin' down the house at indy state. Maybe yall just need to travel to all upperstate events until you can hang with the homeboys? Or do you consider upperstate coming to you an Obama entitlement program? If they come you need to lace up your checkered wool skirt and have a cricket fundraiser to subsidize their travel cause the gain will be yours.

Yo thought I should stir you up 'cause sanders been lettin' down on the job lately. cheers
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul - 18:18

That's great Guest1. Genius in fact. Travel to the upperstate to wrestle.....upperstate teams. Never thought of that the last several years while lowerstate teams were doing it.

Please re-read the title of the thread and maybe just maybe a few of the posts in regarding travel mandates of no overnight events more than 100 miles for Berkeley County schools. Then I look forward to more wonderful contributions from you. While you are at it, maybe you can advise us as to where that hairy bastard "Big foot" has been hiding all these years.

Thanks Pal.

Back to top Go down
Guest1

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug - 14:21

Lex, My genius was, and was intended to be, along the same vein as yours when you call out the upstate schools for not travelling to the lowerstate. Considering many of those schools have been on no overnight travel restriction for at least 3 years now. No overnight travel in my mind is just as bad as 100 mile restriction. That knocks out 2 day tournaments unless it is really in your back door. Fairly sure that is why the teams mentioned above went to woodmont and not southern slam even though they are closer than 100 miles to southern slam. Woodmont was a one day event.

Bigfoot is real dude. Check out Google Earth and you'll see geo-referenced sightings everywhere... Wink
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug - 20:48

HAHA. Thanks Man.

Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Aug - 11:47

Point is this. Not saying all schools do......But why shouldn't the upperstate schools take advantage......if they can(budget, schedule, etc).....of the Metro Atlanta area. Why drive 3....4 hours to Charleston when they can get great.....great competition in an hour.....hour and half drive.

The Metro Atlanta area has 4X almost 5X as many wrestlers as our whole state. Much less the little area of Charleston....no matter how great the culture. Not to mention you had the top 5 team in the country in the north Gwinnett county.....Collins Hill.

And even on a lesser scale. Why would Crescen drive 4...5 hours to wrestle????Burke, Bishop England, etc..... when they can drive 40 min and wrestle Hillcrest, Eastside, Riverside,??? And Crescent still went to Beaufort? or was it Hilton Head???? Can't remember?

Maybe its just economics??? Especially in todays sports. Why would a 2A team spend money to drive by Hillcrest, Eastside, Riverside, to go to the lowerstate???? As example.....why drive 4 hours to lowerstate when Wallhalla could drive an hour to one of....if not THE Hotbed of wrestling in the south? in Atlanta?

Not a knock.....just economics

Back to top Go down
mann

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Aug - 8:15

mksanders,

agreed. in recent years going to events such as red raider at greenville, ram invitational at hillcrest, bearcat in rock hill the tournament in spring valley and even our own event has really opened us to some IMO very good competition. why drive to columbia when we know schools like Lugoff and Lexington will be at Greenville in january. we can go 10 minutes to hillcrest and wrestle dorman, hillcrest, mauldin and woodruff (my house is 3 minutes from hillcrest).

theres no point in spending money even on a mini-bus which we own to travel down to charleston when i know my kids can get good solid competition up in rock hill or hec even right next door with our simpsonville neighbors.

i'm sure thats the thinking when teams decide to go to southern slam each year. jack does an amazing job bringing in some of atlanta's best wrestling schools.

and i can tell you this. it is certainly an issue of economics. wrestling may not even exist at woodmont if it wasn't for one of our coaches getting his cdl. this spring as we sat down to pen out our ideal v. real schedule we by all means took into account the cost of travel. why do you think we're going to laurens 3 times this winter haha. and back to hillcrest (although my man crush on tommy might be a reason) and down to lakeland and our only realy distance trip is going to be south pointe.

mike's point is this. we in the upstate have some of the best wrestling in the nation yes the nation all within a 90 mile radius. why leave that happy comfy zone Smile

- mann
woodmont
Back to top Go down
mann

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Aug - 8:27

to answer the original question when i met with our AD back in the spring it was relayed to me that all teams would not have travel restrictions placed on them but she more or less encouraged every team, not just wrestling to come up with a schedule that was both competitive for our respective team as well cost effective when it came to travel.

i think having region 1 and region 2 in AAAA entering into a scheduling agreement has done wonders for this concept. i know in football, basketball and wrestling great strides were taken to create kind of a super region of sorts scheduling wise at least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Aug - 21:08

"we in the upstate have some of the best wrestling in the nation yes the nation all within a 90 mile radius. "

definately need to get out more.......
Back to top Go down
Wild Ben

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeMon 9 Aug - 10:29

"Why leave that happy comfy zone."
That about sums it up.
If you never go out of that 90 mile radius, I guess that would be the best wrestling in the country to you.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeMon 9 Aug - 11:01

When a team is ranked #5 in the country....in your 90 mile zone. The national rankings are saying its that good. Not a Woodmont Coach, Mann Coach, not a Hillcrest fan. NATIONAL RANKINGS Ask Brandon, Ask Blair.....how good Collins Hill is. Ask these National Teams how good Pope is. Look at the National rankings. Look at South East rankings. You will see what a force the metro Atlanta wrestling is. Look at the National teams coming to Atlanta. If its worth top ranked national teams to come to Atlanta.....You gotta understand why an upstate team would travel 1 1/2 hours to that area for the competition. Just look at last year's NATIONAL rankings.

As far as Woodmont. How do you know they don't get out???? Saw Coach Mann and Woodmont kid at HS nationals. As matter of fact I was matside when Woodmont kid won a great match.

Go to Atlanta and see how comfy you are.. Just so happens it is within a 90 mile radius of upstate teams.

Again....we are talking about travel mandates.... There are very few schools that are not effected by at leaast some restrictions.. If a coach wants competition???? What's best for his team...at the most economical price.... Then why would he travel 4 hours to wrestle Burke, Bishop England, Hanahan, N. Charleston, etc.......when he can make easy 1 1/2 hour trip and wrestle Collins Hill(#5 in COUNTRY last year), Pope, Parkveiw, Woodward Academy, N. Gwinnett,....All traditionally reanked in the National and Southeast Rankings.

Even take the Power Houses in the LowerState... Fort D and Summerville. Then compare that to how many teams in the Metro Atlanta Area that are Nationally and Regionally ranked over the years. It's not even close. Beleive me....what coach meant as "comfy" was more to do with economics and travel as oppossed to competition. Any SC team would feel W A Y more comfy in the lower state of SC as oppoesed to the Metro Atlanta area!

Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 9:37

Speaking of rankings.....National Rankings...... Look at the open mat rankings. There are 6 kids ranked in the 90 mile driving radius to the upstate. TN has 2.....and Hillcrest sees the two kids at McCallie. NC has 2.....one in Charlotte and one Greensboro.

The metro Atlanta area has 6 kids ranked in the Nation. One team ranked in the top 5 in the country.

http://news.theopenmat.com/2010/08/toms-national-individual-high-school-wrestling-rankings-%e2%80%93-8-9-2010/

SC......in the same pole.....has none. Teams......none. And when I say SC this includes the charleston area.

So.....when its cheaper to drive to Atlanta.....Chattanooga..Charlotte.....for National ranked competition....why would a coach spend more money to drive farther to Charleston....... Oh wait, I am coming for some culture, pretty women, and great restaurants.... Very Happy hook me up Lex.

So maybe the upstate teams ARE getting out. Getting great competition. Not staying in their little comfy zone. And doing it with the travel mandate restrictions.
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 10:25

The Atlanta area and southern Georgia is a hotbed for wrestling right now. We are excited to get invited to a pretty stout 10-match double dual over the holidays in Toombs County?

Collins Hill would probably beat the SC all-star team. I’m not trying to put down our state, but they are just that good. I’m curious to see how Parkview and some of the other traditional Georgia powers will be next year. While they were still very good at the SSlam last season, they were not what I expected.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 11:12

MkSanders,
The point of this post was not to debate where better competition is. Of course it in out of SC.
The point was:
1-To find out what other teams or areas might have travel mandates on them.
2-To see what teams from out of the area (upstate in particular) that will be willing to travel. Particularly the 1a/2a teams that teams like Hanahan will see at state and traditionally travelled to Lakeland Duals to see.

The point of travelling to the other parts of the state to wrestle is to see some of these teams prior to state. Are there better tournaments for lowcountry teams to travel to than Lakeland Duals? Of course there are. But the point was to see those wrestlers before state to get an idea of where your kids stand. The travel mandates on Berkeley county schools take that opportunity away. I happen to have a large amount of Hanahan kids in Pit Bull wrestling club and I hate to see their schedule get screwed as such.

You can take any and every opportunity you want to bash to lowcountry's wrestling, but I'm guessing you would have liked to have had the LOWCOUNTRY kids that went to the Disney Duals (and COMPETED solidly in the winners bracket) independently of Team Palmetto.
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 11:38

I can agree with Lex's point as well. While travelling to other parts of the state might not be as tough as some out of state tourneys...you do need to see your own competition. This is the first year that I can remember where we are throwing away that concept so check back with me in February and I will let you know if it was a success.

Three tournaments offer quality competition with a high number of 1A-2A teams: Ram Rum ble, Lakelands, and Hawk Invitational.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 12:01

First off not bashing Lowcountry. But the thread was talking about travel mandates....90 mile radius.... and you inferred or asked why or what Upstate teams travel to lowcountry. You got your answer. If it offends you what the answer is.....head what you tell people on this forum all the time when you make your "factual" statements. Don't let facts get you riled up.

Don't know how LOWCOUNTRY kids on Team Palmetto go toward your Points of this thread.....but heck yes.....would have loved to had them on one team. DUH??? And to let you in on a little secret.....most if not all of those kids have been on Team Palmetto in the Past.....Heck Jerry even coached Team Palmetto many times. So if that was a half hearted attempt to get a dig on me.....that failed.

Again not bashing Lowcountry....Not bashing SC(remember this is my state....and I am very proud of it). But when economics is brought in the mix, competition, don't think the upstate team are turning our nose up at you.....fact is fact. In the 90 mile radius Competition is better in Atlanta, Charlotte, Chattanooga.

As for the point of this post. The facts I brought up do pertain to your point...#2..... why would teams travel to Hanahan when they can get tougher competition with schools closer proximity and more justified econimically.

Now, your point of seeing where you stand with other 1A/2A teams in the state?????? hmmmm...???? thats just a little different philosophy than most other coaches that want their kids to improve. I hear most coaches say they want the best competition they can get. I can see a little merit....wanting to see 1A/2A guys....I guess? But talking to you in the past I thought you would want your kids wrestling the best.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 13:11

I think your missing the whole point of the message thread again.
The point of seeing the upperstate 1a/2a teams was because they are the ones that these lowerstate 1a/2a teams will see at state, not the 3a/4a teams. You know that. You also know that I would never try to avoid competition.
The 3a/4a teams from upstate are fine too, but quite frankly, we have some decent ones around here (Summerville, Fort D, Battery Creek, Blufton, Hilton Head, etc).

Again, the two points were asking if anyone had travel mandates similar to Berkeley county schools and just fishing to see if any teams would come down here to wrestle the lowerstate teams that they will see at state. It was not to point out that yes, there are plenty of good upperstate teams. DUH. Nor was it to point out that there is quality competition outside of SC for Upperstate teams to travel to. Again, DUH.

Thanks for the info though. As always, it was uber-helpful.

Last edited by Lex L. on Wed 11 Aug - 15:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 14:32

meeting your competition at least once in the state can be beneficial for seeding purposes. I see it every season where two quality and rightful SQ's are meeting in the consolation quarters or semis because of an inflated record and zero head-to-heads. I think you have to find the right balance between wrestling the powerhouses and the local yokels.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug - 15:11

Shoot yeah.....those lower state teams are decent....heck they are real good!!!! Heard Strobel say the Fort D team last year was the best SC team in 10 years...... Well, he may be right. Don't think he would get much arguement. Not from me anyway. Summerville is right there with them. Which kind is my point.....If you at BE......or Hanahan and you have such a great team...40 minutes away?..... why would you drive to Greenville County to wrestle Carolina or Christ Church. I mean if you ever get where you are beating Summerville and Fort D.....I would prolly say you got a pretty good shot at beating the 1A/2A kids in Greenville County(Carolina and Christ Church). And that would be within your travel mandate?? Same could be said with upstate teams.

Don't take offense there Lex. It was your words of calling out "Greenville/Greenwood" schools. When you get a repsonse....don't get riled up. When you make a statement of "and then all those greenville/greenwood area schools that seem to just wrestle each other all the time" and you are given a reason why.....it may not be a shot you but simply a reason why some teams may do it. Calm down. Smile

OK so you fishing for teams to come to you??? OK Gotcha

hehehehe Uber?- think I heard my daughter quote that from that miley cyrus show......not sure what it means..... but ok. Uber-helpful??? Your Welcome.

So what nice restaurant are we going to first, Lex? Even tho I lived in Mt. Pleasant for 3 years you may need to teach this Moonville boy some culture. lol

Back to top Go down
DRANK

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug - 19:48

I won't get into the fray about HS scheduling but advise up and coming upstate kids not overlook the benefits of Team Georgia USA events. I firmly believe the saying iron sharpens iron is true and you can find some iron in those events. They typically start in September. When we started attending those ATL events and other local events back in 2000 the AAU program in SC was a fledgling effort. We attended about 60+ day drive tournaments over an 8-9 year span and still went to many of the SC AAU events too. You may not be able to afford Fargo but good competition can be found on a budget in a 1.5-2 hour drive if you make the effort. We routinely got matches with names like TJ Mitchell, Tanner Moon, Rossi Bruno, Partridge, Kevin Norstrem, Robert Dyar, Tyler Shankles, Nick Isburg, Tommy Nickles, Brian Alvarado, Mason Martin, Cason Thurmond, Josh Blue, and many other state champ and state place level kids by attending predominantly day events.
Back to top Go down
cjs53

cjs53

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeTue 17 Aug - 13:13

All this being said, If anyone would like to travel to Bamberg we would be more than happy to accomodate. Looking for several teams for several events. Not throwing out any names but I'm tired of traveling to places only for teams to avoid coming to our place. I understand travel restrictions, but come one I agree with LSO raise some money!!!!! I know hard times are upon us, but I do everything possible to travel far and wide to get competition.......from getting my CDL so we don't have to pay a bus driver (not my choice, district policty), to sleeping in our wrestling room, and sleeping in other wrestling rooms to avoid hotel charges. On this last one, most coaches are more than willing to provide your team with showers etc...

If you would like to wrestle us, please email me at cslaughter@bamberg1.net
Back to top Go down
fin guru

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 0:47

There are 3 preseason college open tournaments for those elite HS wrestlers that want some good competition. Newberry oct 31st The Citadel open the next weekend and then the The Braves classic at Pembroke the next weekend. HS wrestlers can enter as an independent.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 9:57

It is not a bad idea for the ELITE level high school kids to try and test themselves at a lower level college open or two. It would be wise to contact to coach or tournament director to see if an individual high school kid is welcome. They may not want their events completely watered down with high school kids.

Also consider that most teams have already been working out solidly (non-mandatory and unofficial of course). A work out a couple of times a week by a high schooler, with other high schoolers likely is not going to properly prepare someone for a college open. That being said, if someone is truly elite and they have been getting after it with quality competition/coaches, then these events could be a good opportunity to showcase your skills to some Div II, III, and juco programs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?   Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Travel Mandates on overnight tournaments?
Page 1 of 1