A-AA Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-AA Message Board

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rankings?

Go down 
+4
cjs53
Lex L.
LSO
NSwrestler(retired)
8 posters
AuthorMessage
NSwrestler(retired)

NSwrestler(retired)

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 13:57

Guess you're gonna hold off till after Lakelands to update rankings? Not a bad idea since the results should be very telling

EDIT: by "you" I mean LSO
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 15:08

pretty much...lack of coach and user input has left rankings at a standstill.
Back to top Go down
http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
Lex L.

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Lakelands   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 15:26

Somewhat dissappointed in the pools, but at least Hanahan v Abbeville will happen.

Pool A:
Chesterfield
Palmetto
Bamberg
Ninety-Six

Pool B:
BHP
Riverside
Greenwood
Bishop England

Pool C:
White Knoll
Crescent
Emerald
Newberry

Pool D:
Hanahan
Abbeville
Laurens
Whitmire

For Geiges/Oaks to happen, we need some serious upsets in pool D.

For Hanahan/Chesterfield to Happen, both either need to go to the finals or wrestle for 3rd.
Back to top Go down
cjs53

cjs53

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 15:33

I was kind of hoping the Hanahan/C'Field match would happen. Kind of glad we will see C'Field before possibly seeing them at state, but would rather not. Should be a good weekend of wrestling. Are these pools seeded from top to bottom or are they just random order? if they are seeded, how did they seed the teams?
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 15:48

It looks like they are seeded top to bottom in each pool.
I know BE, Whitmire, and Newberry are all likely at the bottom of their pools for a reason. The teams at the top position look like they should be there as well.
Back to top Go down
NSwrestler(retired)

NSwrestler(retired)

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 16:01

Glad to see 96 going up against the traditional #1 upper and lower state teams in 1A, get a taste of the challenges to come. That also allows for potential 1vs2 matchups at 112 and 152
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 16:09

BOOOOOHHHHH HIIISSSSssssss.
We want Hanahan v Chesterfield.
Back to top Go down
NSwrestler(retired)

NSwrestler(retired)

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 17:47

Lex, if they win out of their pools (or both get second?) we could still see that
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 17:53

And if my aunt had a penis, she would be my uncle.

BE will be done before that happens. My ride back to Charleston may be leaving me......
Back to top Go down
djmrem28

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 18:23

so in pool D will first match be Hanahan vs Abbeville OR Abbeville vs Laurens ! thks
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 19:26

Hanahan v Laurens, Abbeville v Whitmire

Abbeville and Hanahan don't wrestle until Saturday morning.
Back to top Go down
new guy

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 22:18

i heard they wrestle first?! what do i know
Back to top Go down
NSwrestler(retired)

NSwrestler(retired)

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan - 22:42

order shouldnt matter, pretty sure pools are round robin. no idea what the order is though
Back to top Go down
AHS

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 0:16

Oaks officially weighed in at 130 tonight. If BE and Abbeville dont get to wrestle. we can always hold a exhibition match out on the front lawn Smile lol. but the oaks vs wolfe/dwira should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 8:27

That will make Derek smile.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 11:04

got extra dates...both teams pitch in $20 and pay the ref for an extra match. We had thought about doing that last season.
Back to top Go down
NSwrestler(retired)

NSwrestler(retired)

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 12:19

I know last year we tried to set up an exhibition between 96 and NMB but time constraints didn't allow, If you don't mind sitting around afterwards for a little bit then you might be able to pull it off
Back to top Go down

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 13:01

That will be an interesting match. I'm not quite sure how it will go. I am thinking Geieges gets a slight advantage on the feet and Oaks a definite advantage on the mat?
Back to top Go down
CU

CU

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 13:03

Still should be some solid match ups in this tourny. Wish I could make it, but I am severely limited this year on time. How do WK, Han, and BHP match up against Chesterfield? Haven't seen any of those teams besides for BHP, and they have a solid group of scrappy wrestlers. And on another note...NSWrestler.....I am down with OPP.
Back to top Go down
NSwrestler(retired)

NSwrestler(retired)

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 13:37

@CU
Yeah you know me
Back to top Go down

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 14:38

Watched BHP and WK in the finals at the westoak duals this year. BHP won it without too much drama. I predict lakelands will come down to CF and BHP. There definitely will be some interesting matchups between CF and BHP. BHP is strong down low, but so is CF.

Here is how I see it:

103- BHP - does CF have a 103?
112- Key matchup between Lowe and Maltby. Did they wrestle at SS? Off the top of my head I give the edge to Maltby on the strength and athleticism factors. Will be a good one.
119- Alley wins handily unless BHP cuts Markell Johnson down which I doubt they will do. He wrestled rankin at 125 at westoak and was full grown 125. Rankin TF him 15-0.
125- Moore vs. Johnson - Moore should win handily based on my observation above.
130- I'm not sure - I don't recall BHP having a stud here - edge to CF
135- Should be entertaining between Ian Harper and Coleman Gary. I say it is close through 2 periods then Harper pulls away.
140- I give Minor the edge over Gulledge, but another that could go either way. Another key matchup.
145- CF wins
152- Burr wins
160- CF wins
171- Not really sure - I give the edge to BHP bc I think I was told BHP kid beat Kern of WO
189- BHP
215- BHP
Hwt- BHP

I think CF prevails by maybe 10-12 pts bc they are stronger down low where BHP's strength lies.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 15:27

kind of confused about the matchups?

So will Geiges matchup with IHARP, CGARY, OAKS, FAIN,

Those should be some entertaining matches especially for a OK recruit. Aren't they close enough in weights? I have been told how Geiges likes to get after it.....so he will surely bump to get the best matches especially since Lex is telling us BE(as a team) isn't gonna contend?
Back to top Go down

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 18:35

I think what we've learned from the comments goes like this -

BE is in a pool with Riverside, BHP, and Greenwood. Geiges is a 130 lber from what Lex tells us. He would have to bump to 135 to get Gary. Who is Fain? Oh I see him now down about #10 in the rankings. I doubt that would be a match for Geiges. Lex tells us there are some busy body mommies and daddies at BE who really get after the coaches if they bump kids out of the lineup. I guess we'll have to wait to see if Lex and Spence bump him to the chagrin of the parents. A compromise position may be to bump him to Gary, but not the Fain kid. Geiges could get a good match from Riverside's Such if he bumped to 130...I guess - never saw the kid wrestle but heard he is talented.

As for Oaks, Lex said his Grandma had to get a sex change before he would let Geiges wrestle Oaks. I think that is how that went lol! Seriously, sounds like Oaks and Geiges will be at the same weight, but won't likely meet since they are in different pools. I'm gunna go on a limb and say BHP and Riverside are both gunna thump BE so unless Abbeville goes 1-2 or 0-3 in pool play I doubt that match happens.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 9:46

Abbeville won out in their pool and actually beat Hanahan again Saturday night. BE was done wrestling by about 1:30-2:00. Abbeville was winning and still wrestling late...
Forfeiting five weights does not give you much of a chance in a dual format.

Lakelands is a nice tournament. I would like to it formatted similar to the Ram Rumble where everyone wrestles everyone to see who truly wins out in each meet. It doesn't stop the bumping away and pulling out of matches though which I saw from several teams this weekend.

As for Geiges and who he was matched up with:

Riverside-They pulled their kid at 130 and forfeited, despite knowing they would get all the forfeits.
BHP-Geiges pinned quickly at 130. He had wrestled the 135 kid in the off season. Would not have been a match. The dual started at 135. We hoped they would bump their 125 up to fight Geiges (Derek weighed 130.6 Friday morning and was eating up until weighins). They did not and our 125 gave him a match so I don't think their would have been anything there.
Greenwood-Props to Greenwood. Fain weighed in at 130 and wrestled Geiges. 13-0 Geiges. Fain did get in a lot of punches and elbows though to his credit.
Palmetto-Quick pin
Newberry-did not have anyone. We did actually win this dual though!
Emerald-Geiges wrestled an athletic kid and was at 14-0 win he pinned him early in the match.

MKSanders-With that format, it is hard to guarantee those matches. Didn't happen for us. Geiges is walking around naturally (eating whatever he wants) at 130. It has never been a secret from the beginning of the season where he would be. No hiding results and wrestling up or down to avoid matchups and competition. Everyone knows where he is. I did see the other 130's (if they actually go there for state) and they are good SC wrestlers. It is hard to tell how competitive the matchups would be when the matchups I saw were not against the better kids. Clinic moves on mediocre competition is not telling.

It would be nice to see the 1a/2a upperstate teams that we here so much about venture out of Greenville during the season and wrestle individual tournaments instead of just wrestling each other every weekend. I know there are budget constraints though. Different strokes I guess.

We have a lump of kids above Geiges and parents who literally show up before we are leaving on a four hour drive to make sure their kids get to wrestle.....
Back to top Go down

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 10:24

lex i completely understand where your coming from. I don't think it's ever really a parents place to step in as coach. but to an extent i also feel for the parents. it's not, "geiges ,and the bishop england wrestlers" (although he is the golden egg there), but it is just the BE wrestling team as a whole. I understand bumping him to get competition, shoot, everyone whats to see him wrestle a good matchup for once. you just can't leave the others hangin out to dry.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 12:07

At the beginning of the season we did that against guys that were supposed to be good and it meant someone else not only didn't get to wrestle, but our guys at 135 & 140 were basically pushed out whenever they had a tough guy that they too should face to get better. Kids got resentful, parents complained, and it is what it is. As far as this weekend and the teams we faced, there was not a point based on who would have been up at the next weights. Better for our 135 (who has potential) to face those guys and test himself versus what I know would have happened anyway.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 12:44

Lex L....... I understand completely. Like you I am just a wrestling fan looking for some good matchups....good wrestling. Under a team format you gotta do what team needs. Just a fan looking for some good matchups. I am sure you understand as you posted on here about kids not bumping for a good matches. I just wonder if "those" kids were under team reasons. I am pretty sure you have got on kids for not moving around before.....basically stating here I am.....if you want me come and get me. Just saying....if you were on another bench you might have a different persective.

Coleman Gary from BHP is who I am talking about did you say Geiges wrestled him....or wrestled Gary in the off season. I thought that may be a good matchup...maybe I am wrong.

Fain is very respectable wrestler. Thought that would have been a better match. I guess I was wrong again. Geiges is very good.

Saw some pretty good names at this tournament....as a fan I was just hoping to hear about them. I mean can't everyone understand. A OK signee against IHARP, OAKS, Gary, etc..... Especially when these guys are within a weightclass or two.

After you telling me how Geiges likes to get after everyone I bet this "everyone knows where he is .....come and get me" attitude....is driving him crazy! And prolly you too. lol
Back to top Go down

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 15:23

If you already dont have a full team and are giving up what, 5 forfeits as you say, why would bumping geiges up have to force someone out of the lineup. Just bump up everyone.
Back to top Go down
WTO

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 16:40

guest and sanders make a good point. I think a geiges vs gary match would have been a great one..in folkstyle. And that would've been a #1 2A vs a #2 3A.

I'm only aware of one "Greenville 2A team" and that is Christ Church. About all of the upstate 2A teams were at lakelands except for the spartanburg county teams (Chesnee, Woodruff, Broome). They were at their own county championship tournament I believe.

Some two-day tournaments feature individuals one day and team the next. You may have to cut the number of teams back to accomplish that.

Another idea (my favorite) would be to make lakelands a 2-day tournament with 16 teams. Have 2 poolsof seeded teams instead of 4. Each team wrestles every team in their pool (7 matches), then wrestle placement matches (pool A 1st vs. pool B 1st, etc.). That brings you to 8 matches. Then as a grand finale - pick 2 all-tournament teams (undefeated wrestlers from the two-pool team duals or let coaches vote on who they should be if you're worried the two best may be in the same pool. Then let the two all-star teams square off in a tournament ending dual finale. Winners are your individual Lakelands all-tournament wrestlers (give them mega-medals and have a MOW or two) I am quite sure ticket sales at the door under that format would increase for the host school and you'd get the team atmosphere and the big matchups. Hey, but I'm just a wrestling fan...what do I know!
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 17:25

I am fan too MKSanders.
as For telling people where Derek would be and "if they want him, come and get him." I stated where he would be at the beginning of the season. Everyone knew. He never played hide and sek like a lot of other secretive types. We just did not have that luxury with what is at BE. Other teams do. I announced that way back when so those that wanted him could find him without any of this bs.

Hilton Head ran their tournament that way a couple of years ago and it was great. Duals one day and individual the next.

As for saying just bump everyone up......Great when you have good guys throughout.
We do not. Most of our kid are lump in between 135-140. Trying to get them better by seeing decent guys themselves is not accomplished by bumping non competitive 1st and 2nd year kids (who do not cut weight) to heavier weight classes. As a coach, I always felt it was crappy to hold a kid out against a studd or never let him test the waters. Plenty of other coaches do. What does that tell that kid?

That being said, if we were wrestling a team with someone we wanted to match one of our kids up against, we would bump him as long as it helped the team. Having to forfeit 130 to bump Geiges up for a match that would not likely be a match anyways and then take another kid out of our lineup that could have benefitted from the match......is not the stroke of genius.

Geiges did not wrestle Gary in season.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan - 23:59

Understood lez....just saying oother teams may have the same issues why they don't bump......so when us fans dont get the matchups we want it may be cause of team issues... guess we all got to be a little understanding.

As well I can only think of 1 2A team in Greenville County. And as far as Greenville schools venturing out I think they do.....I can confirm that one Greenville school has been to GA(twice), TN, and NC.....and if you want to go back about 6 or 7 months you can add in duals in OH as well.

Guess all Im saying lex, is from what you told me about Geiges and going after people it is probably killing him he cant go after nationally ranked kids like IHARP when he is at the same tournament.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 9:25

You're right on Geiges.

As for bumping...I'm all for it to get good matches. I am against it when a team that is spotted 24-30 points and is obviously going to win, bumps away from a good kid to preserve a record or the latest "We were saving him for the next match." I know at this pointin the season, win or lose, my guys are ready to wrestle all day.

If you were referring to Hillcrest or Eastside, I was not speaking of them. Koz and Bell both do a great job and puttheir kids out there.
Back to top Go down
WCat

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 9:29

We did get to see one matchup in the little gym that the crowd wanted. With the upperstate crowd yelling for Chesterfield to man up and bump Harper to Frasier of Palmetto at 140, they got what they wanted.
Back to top Go down
CU

CU

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 10:48

I believe it is fine to ask a wrestler if he is OK with a shift in weights to get the all-star match up. I would always let the wrestler who is being bumped out of the way have the final say in the matter though. It is his weight class and if he says he would like a shot at the other team's stud then I would give it to him, but if he doesn't mind letting his teammate get in some really good mat time then I would let the bump occur....assuming team score is/will not be a factor in the decision.
Back to top Go down
HasBeen

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: y   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 12:25

what was the score from harper vs fraiser? I didn't know they wrestled.
Back to top Go down
eljugado

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 12:42

Would that be one of Harper's 6 pins in the first period?
Back to top Go down
Cfield

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 13:05

Harper vs Bamberg pin 1st
Harper vs 96 tech 2nd
Harper vs Palmetto pin 1st
Harper vs Riverside pin 1st
Harper vs Crescent pin 2nd
Harper vs White Knoll pin 1st
Harper vs Abbeville pin 1st
Back to top Go down
James Wo

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 22:41

Harper pinned Frasier in about 30 sec. after he backed out of bounds three times.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan - 23:32

I bet the people calling to bump him up to wrestle their 140 suddenly felt deflated.

Ouch!
Back to top Go down
RedBird

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: U   Rankings? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan - 15:59

Harper sounds like a beast. I hope he does something in senior nationals. Also hope that kid that teched him like he was standing still isn't a senior.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Who

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan - 17:14

teched him?
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan - 18:48

Ian had bumpy start to the season but I am very happy with the way he has been reengergized.

Frazier could have done better. Had he had some time to get his mind right he would have been okay, but I don't think he realized Ian was bumping up until we sent a JV out at 135.

I can't remember the last time Ian as teched...maybe against Alex Meade way back in the day. Wonder how he is doing?
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan - 22:06

Meade is sucking aZZZZ at Okie State. Saw him the other night on Big Ten Network.
Back to top Go down
RedBird

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: j   Rankings? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan - 22:54

So how bad did he lose in the southern slam?
Back to top Go down
Cfield

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan - 0:15

Dalton lost to Meade at Southern Nationals when he was 10.
Ian lost at Southern Slam in the finals 5-1 to Bradley,TN

Here is all of their losses:
Dalton freshman year = none
soph year = koren(cary,nc) 4-2; edwards(leesville road,nc) overtime ; townsend (s.cauldwell,nc) pin
junior year = goodwin(s.point,nc) 5-3; gore(loris) Dq'ed slam
senior year = koren(cary,nc) pin

Ian freshman year = brotemarkle(fort mill) 9-8
soph year = eatmon(riverside,nc) 12-9
junior year = none
senior year = beck(rock hill) 2-1; herron(bradley-central,tn) 5-1
Back to top Go down
RedBird

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: t   Rankings? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan - 0:50

Ok it must have been the Tn kid that i heard about. I didn't get to go...i heard it was worse. I guess people would like to blow things out of proportion. I hope i get to see him wrestle this year. Is he 130 or 135? Everybody jumps around so much i can't keep track.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rankings?   Rankings? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rankings?
Page 1 of 1