A-AA Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-AA Message Board

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Indian Land

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
scoop

Indian Land Empty
PostSubject: Indian Land   Indian Land Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb - 16:44

Indian Land edged out for 1A title
By Mike Laughlin
(Published February 10, 2009)

Indian Land's Trevor Jones uses a bridge to try to break out of the control of Chesterfield's Kevin Caskey in the Upper State championship Saturday.It was fitting that the top two 1A wrestling programs in the state for most of the season met to decide the Upper State champion.

Chesterfield and Indian Land, ranked first and second in the state respectively, clashed on the mats for the third time this season Saturday at Indian Land and Chesterfield got the better of the Warriors for the third time, winning the Upper State championship 36-30.

The six-point margin was the slimmest of the teams' three meetings this year.

"I feel like our kids are getting better," head coach Mike Kersey said. "It's all up to the guys."

The Warriors defeated Christ Church 64-9 in the opening round of the eight-team tournament and handled Ninety Six in the semifinals, 39-31 to set up the championship match against perennial 1A powerhouse Chesterfield.

Freshman Reco Hayden got the Warriors off to a great start in the opening match, defeating Chesterfield's Tim Wright in the 215-pound match and electrifying the home crowd.

The Rams responded, however, and took the next seven matches, including a streak of three straight pins, to claim a 33-3 lead.

That's when the Warriors' Thomas Harris stepped onto the mat against Elijah Burr, who finished fourth in the state last year in the 112-pound weight class. Competing this year in the 160-pound match, the two wrestlers went back and forth in the most entertaining and intense match of the afternoon. Neither wrestler had a lead of more than four points to reach a 17-16 score, in favor of Harris, late in the third period. That's when Harris quickly flipped Burr and pinned him with under a minute left in the match, sending the Indian Land bench into an eruption of cheers.

"I think I did pretty good. I did what I could," Harris said. "It's disappointing (not to win the Upper State championship) but it feels all right to get second. We had a lot of opportunities to win. It just didn't happen."

The emotion from Harris' win would spill over into the next match, when one of the Warriors most consistent wrestlers, senior Dillon Creed, went up against Chesterfield's Nick Gulledge.

With a 2-1 lead in the first period, Gulledge drove Creed headfirst into the mat and referee Sean Swoope called an illegal move, disqualifying Gulledge and making the score 30-15 after the penalty points were deducted from Chesterfield's score.

"I wanted it stopped, partly because of the rivalry," Swoope said. "[Creed] was hurt on something illegal."

Swoope said Gulledge was charged with a flagrant misconduct penalty on the mat, meaning he could potentially face future suspensions, but said he would review the match again with the South Carolina High School League. Indian Land Athletic Director Mike Meyer said Creed suffered a stinger, but is expected to be fully recovered in time for the individual state tournament.

The two teams traded the next two matches, making the score 36-18 with two matches to go. With the victory in hand, Chesterfield forfeited the last two matches to reach the final 36-30 margin.

"I felt like we wrestled decent today," Kersey said. "In the championship match, their kids were more disciplined than ours and we gave up too many pins."

The Warriors finished their season with a 21-12 record and will now eye the individual state qualifying tournament, Feb. 20-21 in Aynor.

"The most we have ever qualified is seven. I think we can beat that this year," Kersey said.
Back to top Go down

Indian Land Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indian Land   Indian Land Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb - 17:02

Indian Land is lowerstate this year?
gonna be tough to qualify seven there with Loris, chesterfield, Cheraw,etc...
Back to top Go down
NSwrestler(retired)

NSwrestler(retired)

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Indian Land Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indian Land   Indian Land Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb - 18:19

Some would argue that it's easier to qualify in lowerstate because there are generally only 3 or 4 powerful teams that are head and shoulders above the rest, while the upperstate has more parody. This year it seems like that has changed a little with teams like Edisto, Indian Land, and Hanahan emerging as stronger programs creating an atmosphere similar to the one usually seen in the Upperstate
Back to top Go down

Indian Land Empty
PostSubject: Indianland   Indian Land Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb - 18:24

Wow, Burr at 160? I don't think so. Hope he got taller if he's 160 Laughing Fairly sure the author meant 140.

Gullege is at 145? Surprised I think he wrestled 130 in the preseason. Most kids lose weight in wrestling season. So why would the ref review the issue with the HSL? Wrestling is a tough sport. Did the ref think it was flagrant?
Back to top Go down

Indian Land Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indian Land   Indian Land Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb - 18:35

I think the ref reacted to the crowd and coaches. No call for a while, then after Creed didnt get up, he made the call. It wasnt intentional, just hard wrestling. Gulledge had Creed in a pinning combination, Creed bridges high, Gulledge lifts and returns to the mat to readjust and Creed doesnt come out of the bridge and lands head first.
May have been 'borderline illegal'
Good to know Creed was fine a few minutes later and will be able to wrestle next weekend.
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Indian Land Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indian Land   Indian Land Icon_minitimeThu 12 Feb - 11:46

The HSL overturned the flagrant misconduct call and Gulledge will not be reprimanded. Gulledge wrestled 130 at the Indian Land tournament the first week of the season and we expected him to drop to 125 but he has hit some insane growth spurts.

Click for story:
http://www.thelinkpaper.com/viewer/default.aspx
Back to top Go down
http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
Sponsored content

Indian Land Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indian Land   Indian Land Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Indian Land
Page 1 of 1