A-AA Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-AA Message Board

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lex L.

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Empty
PostSubject: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct - 12:27

The season (well, practice at least) officially starts Monday.
It will be interesting to kick things off with who people think will place at he end of the year at state vs. who actually does.

I know that it is hard to even gauge who will be at what weight, but let's give it a go.

Who will win/place/show at state this year?
Back to top Go down
Bench-Co

PostSubject: Picks for the upcoming 2009-2010 Season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 17:14

Here we go Lex L.,
This is my guess of the major opponents you'll have to go through to stand on the center of the podium in Feb'10
103-Gilliam-Woodruff
112-Whitfield-Crescent/Bertolini-Crescent battle it out again
119-Gore-Loris/Alley-C'Field I think Hiers Kid from B-E is in the mix here
125-Geiges-BE(if there), Bromell-Loris/Moore-C'Field
130-Rankin-Walhalla I think he's where Geiges isn't
135-Phillips-Woodruff
140-That Ringer from C'Field (HARPER)Thank goodness he's the last Harper
145-Tillman-Abbeville very tuff kid/McCall-C'Field
152-Burr-C'Field
160-Neff-Gilbert
171-Gunter-Indian Land/Hannah-C'Field
189-Holliday-Abbeville(freshman) very tuff kid
215-Callaham-Palmetto
Hwt-? Heard Ian Harper might go here just to have to face someone he can't man handle Laughing

Maybe SC2A could give us his pre-season ranking? That would help because he probably knows better than anyone where the young men might be returning....
Back to top Go down
alfalfa

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 23:59

look for oaks-abbeville to make some noise. Not sure what he is weighing but the kid is to be respected. Also look out for mudd from Atown at hw
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov - 11:11

I rarely get to see much of the upperstate guys until we travel to LakeLand's. We may see some at the Southern Slam though. We sure would like to get teams like Abbeville down for a weekend in Chucktown. Anyways, here is my guess. That, like you is withought know where the bulk of upperstate people will be going.

103: If Gilliam can still make it, I would pick him over a bunch of little guys. Sleeper pick: Hanahan's scrappy JJ.
112: Probably one of those upperstate kids that cuts off an arm to make weight.Whitfield, maybe Gilliam if he is up here.
119: My pick is Matt Moore from C'field if he is here. A lot of talent. I hope he can realize it. Otherwise, Rankin if he can make it.
125: May be a big cluster of talent like 119 was last year. This too me may be the most exciting weight class. My pick would be either Cody Hancock or Michael Wolfe of Hanahan if tone of them is here. Both had really good Freestyle/greco seasons. Wolfe may not want to cut. Hancock may have packed on too much muscle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rankin maneuver his way through this weight either. I am a big Bromell fan, but I worry about the meltdown Loris had last year before individuals. That and Loris getting a new coach.
130: Geiges if he is here. He will not cut this year. If he grows, look for him at 135. If Geiges is not here, Wolfe or Hancock.
135: If Harper is here, I pick him because most people will avoid him. Otherwise, Adam Oaks from Abbeville.
140: Harper if he is here.
145: Burr from C'field if he is here. Maybe Tillman from Abbeville.
152: ?
160: ?
171: ?
189: ?
215: ?
HWT: Baby Nazon. Just kidding, he hasn't stepped on the mat yet.

I have no idea about the upperweights as I have not had any in awhile to mention so I have paid little attention. I will be paying close attention to 189 this year though..........
Back to top Go down
Bench-Co

PostSubject: Picks for the upcoming 2009-2010 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov - 14:40

The only reason I left Adam Oaks out the mix was because I was told he was going to some school out of state this year to prepare for college,otherwise I would definately had him in the mix.
I can't see Rankin making 119 again. He's a Sr also and don't think he will want to cut that hard all year.
I do agree that 125 will be stacked and maybe 140. Everyone will want to stay away from wherever Geiges/Harper are which most believe will be 30/35. The ideal match up would be Harper/Geiges, if not this season would be a N/S match I WOULD PAY to see. hint hint
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov - 16:56

I never thought the Crescent McCall would make 119 after being 125 the year before, but who knows. Wherever Rankin is, I'm sure he will be in the mix. He is a crafty competitor.

Geiges did not cut last year. He won't this year. Derek is trying to gain weight for college and FILA's in Vegas. My guess is that he will put on five pounds during the season.

Harper looked huge for 130 at the Super 32. Last year he hit a growth spurt it seems after Christmas. I don't see him keeping his weight low enough for Geiges to realistically bump up to meet him. These two are probably two weight classes apart. They may meet up at the N/S, if the powers that be allow that matchup.

We'll try though. I'm sure C'field will too.
Back to top Go down
alfalfa

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeMon 2 Nov - 0:35

I'm sure coach martin would love to have a scramble with you all down in Charleston. But I have a feeling the budget wont allow it. Last year it was a big help to have a match with chesterfield. I think it gave the team a bit of confidence and helped during the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeMon 2 Nov - 9:13

Everyone's budget is tight this year. Though BE does not have the money most public schools do for there programs, luckily we don't have travel restrictions. I hear a lot of teams are more or less stuck in their areas. Summerville had a lot of teams cancel on them this year because of travel restrictions. That is how we wrangled a dual with them.

We would love to get any of the upstate teams down to Charleston. We would love to see Loris, Aynor, Indian Land, or any of the others that we don't see until lowerstate as well. It looks like Loris dropped out of the Hanahan Tournament. That is a shame.
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeMon 2 Nov - 11:15

I wil make an early attempt based on what I know...however, I have and will continue to be out of the loop more this season with me trying to finish up my master's degree here.

I have heard (and not heard) of some rumors spreading about.

I expect the Hanahan frosh to make some noise at the 103 class this season.

I overhead Gilliam is injured and unsure of the severity? Never heard of the Oaks thing..I highly doubt that is true.

No clue what Gilbert has? What about Leonard from Columbia? He could be their first champ. I look for him to remain quiet until throws Coach Lovier on this head and knocks his coach out for the season.

For the first time in a decade, Chesterfield has no 103 and is suspect down low...hopefully some kids will get there weight under control....however a stretch of Alley, Moore, Trexler, Harper, McCall, Burr is lethal if you expect to win in the middle against Thompson Creek's finest.

I expect Gunter (Indian Land) to have a breakout season. He snuck up on everyone last season and made it to the championship match. This kid has impressed me since he was a freshman and I am ready for him to prove me right. Along with Hayden, Landrie, and HWT Grey, Indian Land's heavyweights will be very tough this season.

Abbeville lost a load but sure athleticism should get them back to the state title match. With manbearpig finally in the lineup and a transfer or two they will be locked and loaded again...as long as they don't let Crescent close the gap.

Crescent, in my opinion, is the hardest working team in 2A and if the stars align and they can keep their knees and shoulders in align throughout the season they could sneak in the finals.

Bamberg is adding some solid youth but is at least one more year away from competing with Cfield and Indian Land in 1A
Back to top Go down
http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeMon 2 Nov - 15:59

manbearpig.....rahahahaha
LOS, you are talking about Holliday right???
Can't wait till everyone sees this kid. And by the way, before you ask. He is a TRUE fresham. He as not "red shirted". From what I can remember a young freshman at that. Taking him to MS duals we always had to make sure we had his birth certificate. And no he is not JUST a beastly athlete.....he can wrestle! Not sure what all 2A 189 and 215 pounders look like but I would assume he will make a run.

Agree, Bamberg should have a couple of kids contribute.....maybe contend???

From an outsider looking in.....I think the word in 2A is ABBEVILLE!

And LOS, I know your a Carolina fan, but please stop the Holtz isms. LOL Chesterfield is as good as any team in the state!!!! You guys will prolly walk out a STUD 103.......a little brother of ___________, (fill in the blak). And walk thru everyone.

Why don't you give us a preview og the Chesterfield / Lugoff / Rock Hill matches. Will we see a IHARP/Beck match? Beck / Alley ? What will be some interesting matchups?
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov - 10:03

Day one of practice and we have no 103. We have a 78 pounder that has never stepped on the mat.

If we could wrestle from 112-189, I don't think there is a team in the state of SC that could beat us. Cfield is gonna be either really good or really green.

I don't know much about Rock Hill and Lugoff. The Becks look to be at 125 and 130 max so unless they bump I don't foresee them matching up with Harper. They will still have their hands full with Alley/Moore combination (these kids have busted their tales this offseason). Jerelle Hannah will more than likely start his HS career off with a Connell. You 2A guys that do no know Hannah, I will let you know I am just as excited about him as I have ever been with any Cfield frosh.

Rock Hill lost a good bit and depending on their football postseason, might have a couple out. That being said...Cfield will more than likely be playing for a football championship as well on Nov. 27, that means we are gonna throw 6 kids out in that match without a single day of practice. Out of those six, 2 of them will have 0 wrestling experience. Essentially, we will more than likely be spotting both teams 12-18 points that night.....but they will need it.

I'm working out the kinks on my streaming video site....everyone should be able to watch that tri-match come Dec. 1.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov - 10:56

OK, Holtz. We will see??? lol Smile

I am assuming Hannah will be one of the FB players with little practice? I would love to see that match between Hannah and Connell. And before everyone starts chuckling......The South Dakota HS runner up had to go into OT to beat Hannah. And no not the MS runner up.....I said the HS runner up. Now I would like to see Hannah get more varsity practices and matches under his belt. But I still think it will be a great match.

Still saying Chesterfield is one of the best teams in the state......bar none. Yall will find a 125 - 130 kid to cut down to 103. And Tanneyhill will put you on a 215 and HWt that looks like man childs. lol

Give me a score for Rock Hill and Lugoff. Only thing I know about RH is the Becks and they had JV team that prolly could beat most Varsity teams in the state. TONS OF ATHLETES. Lugoff?.....I know the Connells, and Grant. Then as always they are loaded with TOUGH MS and JV kids moving up!!!!
Back to top Go down
LSO

LSO

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov - 11:09

with only 1 day of practice it is still way too early to make a prediction. There are too many variables right now.
Back to top Go down
Clem

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov - 19:46

The Abbeville Hwt transfer Coach Martin rolled out at palmetto duals WILL be a factor. Kid can wrestle. I think he is from GA?
Back to top Go down
alfalfa

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeThu 5 Nov - 13:37

You are correct. He is my pick to win HW. Only reason is I don't know much about any of the other competition.
Back to top Go down
matslap

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSat 7 Nov - 13:36

The skyline will be very competitive this year. Abbeville is the target just because they r the defending champs. They will be ok at the beginning of the year but will be better later when some of those athletes learn what a half is,lol... Walhalla is returning a young scrappy team, and Crescent will be much improved even with losing what they lost last year, remember how they upset Woodruff in the playoffs, they also have Steven Madden back this yr. So my prediction is that is will come down to Crescent, Walhalla and Abbeville. When these teams wrestle each match will be decided by 10 pts. or less. Abbeville will do ok with Oaks, Tillman, Holiday and Mudd. Then u have Simmons, Manning and Humphries returning also, then a couple of athletes who didnt get to see varsity time becase of the many seniors last yr and a FL transfer who is supposed to be pretty good and freshman Logan Friddle along with Junior Nate Richmond. Then you throw in a quick as lightning 1st yr. athlete in at 103 and Oaks' little brother in at 112 and a couple of beasts off the football team and u have Abbeville's starting line up. So my preseason picks for the upperstate are? Walhalla, Crescent, Broome and then Abbeville. Just predictions we will all know more in a few more weeks. Now let the games begin....good luck to everyone......
Back to top Go down
Clem

PostSubject: predictions   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 8 Nov - 19:19

Agree with matslap except -I think Crescent will struggle. They lost a lot. Strickland is the man and will coach em up.

walhalla will be rebuilding - new coach, key losses, injuries and illness to key starters, lack of athletes, administration may not be behind the program. They will be down a notch this year.

Abbeville reloads. Athletes and transfers will help. Predict Abbeville and Woodruff in upstate finals.
Back to top Go down
alfalfa

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 8 Nov - 23:49

Didn't Woodruff lose a lot?
Back to top Go down
Clem

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeMon 9 Nov - 23:07

They did Alf. But Woodruff has history and tradition, support from the admin, athletes, and they have 3 returning finalists. More important these 3 returners are staggered through the lineup - Gilliam down low, Phillips mid weight, and Grandy up top. That will do wonders for workout partners for the entire team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeWed 11 Nov - 23:08

Ben Willard from Swansea moved to florida. I talked to him at the Citadel open.
Back to top Go down
matslap3

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeFri 20 Nov - 5:09

Either everyone is waiting til wrestling begins and see how things or stacking up or some coaches have told there boys to stay off of here,lol...Or the trash talkers graduated,lol....Abbeville is getting this started Sat. at hillcrest with the middleschoolers and JV'S at Tommy's preseason tournament, great place to watch new wrestlers get their feet wet....Abbeville may take a few lumps at beginning of season cause it seems they will be playing football for a few more weeks.
Back to top Go down
hallmana

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 6 Dec - 13:58

I here that Ashley Ridge got 2 or 3 transfers from Summerville and a HWT from Bluffton to help in the upper weights. They are pretty strong 103-140. Region 6 is going to be much tougher between Ashley Ridge, Bishop England and Cane Bay. I look forward to seeing the three wrestle each other.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 6 Dec - 15:01

Word is that Ashley Ridge is solid. I saw in the scores that they hadnled Battery Creek who is usually tough. I was also told that they looked good down in Blufton this weekend. They are definitely benefitting from what used to be a huge collective feeder system for Summerville. Summerville has slipped.
Back to top Go down
Kendell

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitimeSun 6 Dec - 23:55

At 215 look for antonio barron from landrum to win he only lost to grandy at state by a 2-1 dec get at least three chances before upper state cant wait for that match to happen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season   Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Picks for the upcoming 2009-1021 season
Page 1 of 1