A-AA Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-AA Message Board

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 5

Go down 
+2
1-1/2 Nelson
mksanders
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MeMe

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun - 0:47

Ok im bored..So with all the seniors leaving and young wrestlers moving up what is your top 5?

1 Chesnee
2 Loris
3 Crescent
4 Woodruff
5 hanahan
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun - 8:49

Should Bamberg be in this list?

Here is something else to add as well. Speaking of young talent and realignment happening next year. What teams will be moving up and how do you think they will do? EX: Last time I looked at the realignment list I think Hanahan is going up to 3A. Of course we all know they will do well. But how will they do with the Elites in 3A. Say for instance....Eastside. Eastside is dang good anyway but they are about to be influxed with some new talent. More 4 timers. So who will be moving out of 2A and how will they compete with the Eastsides, Chapins, West Oak, Hilton Heads, etc.

Yeah I'm bored too! So what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
whatsup

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: ?   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun - 12:18

I guess he was only talking 2A... Bamberg loses one senior and Chesterfield is always in the mix. affraid
Back to top Go down
Bored2

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun - 15:18

Hanahan will be competitive as long as they have that pitbull club down there.
I don't see them winning against the ones that you mentioned though. Especially if they still cant travel anywhere.

The Chesterfield era is over. The Harper's and Alley's are gone so it is not that likely that their families will stay around and coach.

Bamberg will be tough again though I havent heard anything about them doing anything in the offseason.
Back to top Go down
bip

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun - 19:46

so who is the new coach at bamberg?
Back to top Go down
Watcher

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun - 0:07

At 3a I don't see Hanahan having the success they had the last couple of years. They wrestle a creampuff schedule and if they were forced to wrestle more 3a teams, they wouldn't be able to inflate their records and take the easy way to the dual championship.

They have some good individuals, but they graduated a lot of kids. Well I don't know if they graduated, but they can't wrestle anymore.
Back to top Go down
1-1/2 Nelson

1-1/2 Nelson

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun - 8:39

Don't think there are any new coaches in Bamberg unless Slaughter has expanded his staff!!!
Back to top Go down
MeMe

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: hanahan   Top 5 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun - 22:44

I thought they weren't going to move up until next season. 2A they will be okay but no where close to a Chesnee team that only lost 2 seniors. Loris may give them a challenge in lowerstate but lowerstate don't have much to offer now a days. 3A they lose big and often. Even state runner-up chesnee got blanked by average 3A York.

All i ever heard all last season was lowerstate wrestlers..then get to state and upperstate wrestlers take control of the tourney. The guy that runs the rankings don't get to see upperstate wrestling so that means we are no good. Chesnee, Crecsent, Woodruff and Broome are taking over 2A. Get use to it!

Chesterfield still has a team after the Harpers? So how are they doing in college wrestling now that they aren't wrestling lil 2a sc boys?
Back to top Go down
c-lewis

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 5:43

I think our move to 3a is still a couple years away. I do agree it will be alot tougher there, those schools mentioned in the previous post are really good. Any team in any class would have to be on top of there game to beat those guys. Not to give my age away , but we have been 3a before, its has been a long time ago. One thing we have going for us is on my Pit Bull team and The Hawk team are the Great coaches I get To work with on both staffs, and the most important thing is we have a core group of kids that love to work hard all year round. I see Bamburg dominating 1a for awhile .C-fields time is done for a bit. To many changes in a short time. They are really going to feel it this year if Coach Alley is not going to be there, and I dont think Dallas Harper is to involved anymore. They had a great progam, just it seems the key people have just moved on.Chesnee and Crescent are the two teams to watch out for. They both have great coaches and alot of good kids on the team. Chesnee has come along way in a short time.
Back to top Go down
MeMe

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Pit   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 10:31

That's the good thing about them having pit bull..they will be able to reload in a shorter time frame. Im not sure what loris and Woodruff have but there tough every year. Woodruff has a ton of youth wrestlers that feed into there varsity from what i have seen.
Back to top Go down
ram

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 23:00

not sure how the harpers are doing but i found this by googling........

Back to top Go down
ram

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 23:02

oops. and
Back to top Go down
ram

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jun - 23:05

not sure why the link wont post....
try this
and
Back to top Go down
ram

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jun - 0:01

nevermind
Back to top Go down
c-lewis

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jun - 6:32

Ihope they are doing well; they were always great people.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jun - 14:08

CLewis.

Realignment is every 2 years. This past school year was a realignmnet year. The numbers are out already for the next realignment period. Which should take affect not this fall.....but the next fall. For the 2012/2013 school year. Of course, teams will appeal to stay or move for economic or Region purposes. So I don't think it is set in stone yet. But it looks like from the latest school numbers.....hanahan is the biggest 2A team....which is a strong indicator they will be moving up.

Here is what I saw off varsity. BTW, from what I seen from the Pit Bull club.....if those kids go to Hanahan???? Hanahan should be able to compete with anyone.

FROM VARSITY:
SO these teams move up to AAA.

Hanahan

Southside

Swansea

Emerald

Chester

Palmetto

Gilbert

Clinton

Broome

Strom Thurmond

Manning

Woodruff

Back to top Go down
c- lewis

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jun - 5:34

Good info, thanks.
why would they appeal? Iwould think the bigger the numbers, the more money from the state. If thats how it works.
Back to top Go down
mksanders

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jun - 8:40

Some schools......usually around the cutoff appeals to stay down or move up. Usually less to do with oppononents and more to do with economics. A common example of this is .....If a 4A school is in a county with 3A schools. The 4A school may appeal to stay down in 3A because all their Region opponents would be within the county. Instead of traveling 3 to 4 counties away for 4A opponents.

For a long time Greenville County was made up of mostly 3A schools. Something like ??? 12 3A schools. Many times a school like Woodmont appealed to move up to 3A because they could stay within Greenville County. Instad of driving to Spartanburg or Union...Anderson for their Region opponenents. The years I played at Woodmont we were the smallest 3A school in the state. Many 2A schools were bigger than us. But we only had to go out of Greenville county once a year for football games.

Many examples of this.

Not sure of Hanahan's circumstances. But just saying after numbers come out.....then schools appeal to league. Then the final realignment comes out.
Back to top Go down
MeMe

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: han   Top 5 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jun - 22:34

I don't believe hana has a chance to stay down but woodruff maybe. They will be the smallest 3a school. They are borderline.
Back to top Go down
cjs53

cjs53

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jun - 19:55

Bored2, Our guys just returned from team camp at Newberry. Over 4 days we went 15-0 and won the team portion of camp. Most of our guys play football and are therefore unable to do much wrestling in the offseason, which is why our season always starts out a bit rocky (Still in football shape and not wrestling shape). Our offseason runs from December 1 until the first weekend in February and it is a tough off season. We will be fine, our guys looked great at camp and are continuing to learn new technique. Don't let Chesterfield fool ya guys, they have some guys coming back this year that can and will give people some problems. Glad to see everyone is already discussing wrestling!!!
Back to top Go down
Fan1

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeFri 1 Jul - 18:42

I heard that Lan lost to a kid from Emerald at the Newberry camp. Is that true?
Back to top Go down
cjs53

cjs53

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul - 11:30

He lost to Cody Pirkle from Emerald 5-4.....take that as you will. It was a great match!
Back to top Go down
GradHawk

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jul - 17:35

They say we wrestle a creampuff schedule, but we can't travel anywhere. They say we can't beat the good teams, win the big matches, yet we DOMINATE in the play-offs, win state, and then come in 1st place with Indivdual State.

It's ok, keep the Hanahan hate coming. I know my team will keep on doing what they have the past few years, even if I'm not longer apart of it: proving that they're better than whatever team you support.

Haters keep on hating.
Back to top Go down
Watcher

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeThu 7 Jul - 9:21

Gradhawk (if that's true),
I wasn't hating on the Hawk's. But you brought up their creampuff schedule, so here goes.
The comment regarding the creampuff schedule was in regards to how they will do in 3a, but it is definitely true. While it helps bring along the confidence of the 2nd and 3rd tier guys on the team, it hinders the better guys from developing down the rode. In 2a (which was arguably) down last year, it worked. I don't see inflating the records with weak schedules working for the individuals in 3a.

Hanahan did do well in the playoffs last year with Home mat advantage. But don't act like they had a gauntlet of monster teams all throughout. They had Loris in the Semi's at home. They had an almost new Chesnee team in the finals. Those were the only two tough teams. Congrats to them, but don't act like they beat Fort D, Blufton (they lost to them), Summerville, Eastside, Rock Hill, Lugoff, etc.

As far as the travel restrictions, they stayed home a lot. If they truly wanted to, they could probably wrestle teams like Summerville, Fort D, Bamberg, Loris, St. James, Blufton, Hilton Head, Battery Creek, Sumter, and any number of the good Columbia area teams if they went to some nearby events or even scheduled some of these teams for events at home. It shouldn't be that hard. Bamberg has events with several quality schools. Sumter has a dual event. So does St. James. All within their allowed distance.

Hanahan has a good thing going right now. They are in a good area. They get great support. They have a great feeder program. They also have a good club to develop their guys in the off season (Sorry Lex, but all their studds seem to go through Pitbull at some point). Until other teams pick up the slack, they should be able to reload easily.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Brule

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeThu 7 Jul - 17:19

well said watcher
not sure who Gradhawk is but glad they have pride. You mentioned many valid options to the schedule and some may work out when the "official" schedule is turned in. To mention the restrictions of 100 miles hurts us tremendously. The other is the "no overnight trips". That hurts more. Your post was true on most statements. We wrestle everyone who is in our area. If you like I will name then on another post. We were scheduled to wrestles Fort D with Stratford.. They "had exams" and didn't want to stay for us. (their coaches words, not mine). My belief, not coach adkins, is the schools of st. james, bamberg and sumter are all great programs but many conflics of timing. Just to let you know we did wreslte Sumter and lost. 42-28? not sure. Home mat is great. Dreher was not home and we wrestled well against Chesnee. You mentioned Chesnee as "almost new" but they represented the upperstate. Hope you weren't taking anything from that program. They will be there again. We also wrestled well at the state tour taking 1st. The feeder program in the middle and Pittbull keeps the train rolling. We look fwd to next season but the schedule is probably the most difficult task to overcome. We did wrestle at the Blufton tour and also won that.
coach brule, jeff
Lex is a coach with Pitbull and has been and is extremely valuable to the hanahan kids.

Back to top Go down
GradHawk

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeThu 7 Jul - 21:50

My coach answered wonderfully. We have restrictions placed on us that limit teams we can face. And yet when we try to wrestle a team like Fort D, they don't want to face getting embarased. I think the expression I'm looking for is called meeting someone halfway?

We wrestle well at home? We lost 3 matches all year. I hope you understand that we didn't wrestle 31 times at home. And Lake City wasn't a tough team? I sure hope you aren't calling them cremepuffs.

Yes, I have alot of pride for my school. And again, yes, I know we lost to Bluffton. I put the blame of that loss on my shoulders. I couldn't pin my guy to give Hanahan the tie. Maybe we still wouldn't have lost, maybe not. But that blame goes to me.
Back to top Go down
Drink it

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeFri 8 Jul - 10:42

GradHawk,
You must have had too much of your coaches Orange punch if you think Fort D or any of the other "quality" teams were "afraid of being embarrassed" by Hanahan. If Fort D cancelled their match with you while they wrestled Stratford, it probably wasn't because they were afraid of the almighty Hawks. If you can see past Remount and Rivers, you would know that Fort D as well as a lot of other teams like that will bail on the "extra" matches when it comes to regional duals depending on who they had scheduled the rest of the week. Add into that finals or whatever and it is what it is. Most coaches don't like to schedule a lot of multiple duals on school nights. Based on history, I doubt Fort D was afraid. They were down this year as were a lot of teams, but they still likely would have won a dual with the Hawks by a solid margin.

Your coach did a good job of getting you to believe in yourselves and a lot of nonsense like Fort D being afraid of you. I'm guessing he could have done more with the schedule, but it worked out for the team when it came to getting home field advantage. Oh, and Lake City was decent. They were not a top team in any way. Who did they beat of note?
Back to top Go down
HawkFan

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeFri 8 Jul - 13:21

First of all, why worry about how Hanahan will do/would have done in 3A. They weren't there last year, and won't be this year. The fact that SC insists on having separate champions in the different divisions isn't the wrestlers' faults. They were champions at the highest level they were allowed to wrestle last year. They have another whole season of 2A to worry about before they are thinking of 3A. Let's get that out of the way first.
Concerning scheduling... whether it was restrictions or strategy, whatever it was worked. And to "Watcher", several of those teams you mentioned that Hanahan COULD have wrestled if they WANTED to, we DID see either in duals or tournaments or both like Bluffton, Hilton Head, Sumter and I believe Battery Creek . The Fort D deal is whatever it is. We went there to wrestle them. They declined.

Bottom line... The Hawks are reigning champions of 2A until someone steps up to the plate and takes it away. The wrestlers deserve to enjoy it for a while... at least until practice starts in November.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeFri 8 Jul - 15:51

It is far too early to give a solid guess on the top five.

Some teams may do a lot in the off season and may see drastic improvement. Some may be content with what they have and do nothing. Some teams may benefit for some solid transfers and some may lose some (Hanahan/BE) last couple of years are examples). Some may have coaching changes. Some may have lost a lot of seniors. Some may have some phenom freshmen coming in.

-I have no idea who or what is going on with Loris. Since I have been in SC, they have always been good. Some years more so than others. I believe at home the are very tough.

-Chesterfield??? No idea. If Coach Alley and Coach Watson (LSO) are doing other things, I think a lot of that heart and soul may be gone. Who Knows.

-Bamberg has been improving steadily over the last couple of years. I didn't see them in any freestyle or any of the big events, but they usually do a camp of something. I'm guessing they will be back.

-Same for Chesnee.

-Hanahan has a lot of dynamics going on. They lost like half of their starters to graduation. They very well may be better from the lower weights on up through wherever Flores goes. A lot of their guys wrestled in the pitbull club and improved a lot. Their upper weights will pretty much be new faces to a lot of you, but I think they will out perform the seniors from last year from above 171. If they improve and stick with fundamentals, they can be tough. Watch out for Pudge. If the other guys stay on course and don't digress again, Hanahan will be solid. I do think the Hawks will miss Cody Hancock, one of my favorite Pit Bull guys ever. He will surprise some people at Spartanburg Methodist.

Back to top Go down
Jeff Brule

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeFri 8 Jul - 17:10

i would like to emphasize what Lex mentioned. many underclassmen have been training with Pittbull. Some for years. This is a huge boost not only for today but more importantly next year. The extra mat-time and other styles of wrestling (greco-freestyle) continue to develope different skills. (sorry lex, still can't lock hands)
We have no special drink in hanahan but we are confident in our abilities and the talents of the kids. I would encourage all coaches out there to find a way to start an off-season program even if there might only be 3 wrestlers..We're grateful and fortunate to have Brent and coach lewis with the pitbull club.
drink it, didn't see where hawkgrad said "afraid of being embarrassed". On that note you are right about wrestling who you have to. Fort D wrestlers were not afraid during the weigh-ins. Fort d 51 stratford 24
hanahan 48 stratford 27 might be off but you can start a whole new post with this one.
Back to top Go down
Ches

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Chesnee   Top 5 Icon_minitimeFri 8 Jul - 21:39

Chesnee wrestlers were at freestyle tournaments. Not alot of them can afford to go to all of them. The program and the sport is still new to the little town of chesnee so there is no club. The ones that can't wrestle freestyle have been going to Limestone i think. A few are in camps i believe. Martin (135) is at a camp in Iowa at this moment. (I think Gable and the Brands run that) So no one is content there...wrestling doesn't just happen in the lowerstate because you don't see it.

Hanahan and Loris will wrestle to get to the championship again. (My Opinion)
Back to top Go down
GradHawk

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul - 22:26

Ouch at what Lex siad about the new guys outperforming the Seniors above 171 last year, but I know it's the truth. Our 189 waited until the end of his Senior year to start winning the big matches for us, I was a choker, and at heavyweight. Well. Yeah.

I know one monster freshman personally, and I'm holding him to being a young leader this year. He has everything he needs to be a champion except maybe experience, but I'm not up to putting anybody under that kind of pressure.
Back to top Go down
C-LEWIS

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul - 18:49

GRADHAWK
Dont worry about what other people say about choking. all of yall performed above beyond expectations.
If you ever doubt that, look down at your ring.
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING.

Back to top Go down
Jeff Brule

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul - 19:22

drill harder... you could've won!
lol
enjoy college, get off this site!
see ya at the beach
coach
Back to top Go down
Know it.

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul - 18:12

Chesnee is not new...very few of their kids are first year wrestlers....the program is new to the school but kids had experience before they reached the high school level.....I give all the credit to Coach Anthony Martin for the success at Chesnee.....
Back to top Go down
LOL

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: ?   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jul - 18:44

Your thinking of Crescent bc Martin does not coach at chesnee and has nothing to do with the program. Chesnee is going to be a 4th year program. Only one wrestler on that team has ever wrestled before the program was started there. Dustin Martin wrestled a couple freestyle seasons before he started elementary school. lol The first season Chesnee had 4 wrestlers that had wrestled before and they graduated before after the 2nd season.
Back to top Go down
Know it.

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jul - 20:18

Nope, it is known that he is at Crescent, just saying if a program has success he will want the credit....YOu have a Abbeville guy there at Chesnee right? Just saying martin will take the credit...Oh and i think that coach wrestled one year.....
Back to top Go down
UhUh

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: coach   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jul - 20:57

Yeah there is a former wrestler coaching there. He mainly deals with the Middle school program. That is the most important piece of the puzzle for a program to have success in the future. He is doing a great job and you will see a few of his guys moving up to the varsity level. He helps out a lot with the varsity also.

Many coaches,parents, limestone and former wrestlers are credited with the programs success. It helps to have a ton of good kids that are driven to win it all.
I was able to get in on a couple practices last season and those wrestlers work there tails off.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Brule

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Oct - 22:57

such great reading, had to bring it back up. I know opinions are ready to flourish. Knowing what the weights are of the returners (heavy/fat) its going to be more exciting about individual matchups. Speaking about hanahan, we lost half the team and incredilbly talented captains. boykin and hancock
But Pittbull has developed some freshmen that can fill some holes. Coach adkins notified us on 9-29-11 that the A D / district lifted the restrictions on travel. SUPER! schedule already turned in
Coach adkins did a nice job getting some good matches. I believe, after watching the freesyle season, hanahan will be competitive. 6-8 kids who are in Pittbull with potential will weigh in.
We'll be very young but so was Chesnee last year and look how well they did. Coach Martin still there?
brule

Back to top Go down
HasBeen125

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeFri 7 Oct - 14:06

LOL...Coach Martin has never been at Chesnee. He coaches at Crescent and they will be very tough this year also. Someone was trying to be funny by saying he had something to do with Chesnee. That will be a very tough match for Chesnee especially wrestling them @Crescent.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Brule

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Oct - 9:26

is Cresent the team that all the upper weights return? Who is the coach at Chesnee? Met him at finals, but don't recall his name. Lots of changes in the coaching world but most of it seems to be in the 3-4 a. The first post puts (opinion) ches1 cres 3 / why?
We've been fortunate here. Coach adkins has given lewis and myself the opportunity to remain with the team for years. Hopefully the merry-go-round of coaches is done for awhile
I know our football team is!! lol Almost gauranteed we'll have those 6 guys in the mat room relatively soon.. No playoffs there.
Back to top Go down
HasBeen125

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Oct - 18:29

Yeah Crescent has some good upper weights returning and the Ashley kid at 140. I was impressed with him....young but has a bright future on the mat. Chesnee is in the same boat with the football players. You can never count Woodruff out in the upper state either they have a good middle school program and always finds some scrappy kids.

Oct 31st can't get here fast enough. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Top 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5   Top 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A-AA Message Board :: Wrestling Talk-
Jump to: