A-AA Message Board

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

ware shoals

Go down 
AuthorMessage
WS dad

PostSubject: ware shoals   Sat 8 Jan - 15:24

Bring Brian Neal to WS to head football AND wrestling!
Back to top Go down
Gotta

PostSubject: About time   Thu 24 Mar - 14:39

WS needs something new. There current coach is ok, but lacks something. Plus what i have heard, their best wrestlers have all jumped ship cause the current HS coach has little knowledge of HS wrestling. GOOD LUCK WARE SHOALS!
Back to top Go down
Hoodoo

PostSubject: WS wrestling   Fri 25 Mar - 3:04

I agree. I saw WS wrestle this year. For a program to be successful you have to get kids to come out and wrestle. It was sad to watch. WS only showed up with like 7 wrestlers to the match, I saw them at. Out of those wrestlers not one of them won a match. I have watched youth wrestlers with more technique, knowledge, and mental toughness. This is not the wrestlers fault! I hope WS gets a solid coach. The one they have now is a nice guy ( I think his name is Gilbert or something like that. I met him and talked to him a few times at tournaments) but I think he would be a better Asst. coach under a good HS coach. At least till he received the experience of successfully running a HS wrestling program. What I understand about WS current coach is that he is a really good Judo/Jujitsu athlete. I heard he won a national title in Judo once. Judo is close to wrestling but it is not the same. Wrestling takes quite a bit more intestinal fortitude than any other type of combat sports. The only way to get better in wrestling is by wrestling,drilling,more wrestling, more drilling, and you have to have a coach that can teach fundamentals as well as advanced techniques and be a respected Leader, and you have to have a coach that can get kids into the wrestling room.

Im not trying to bash WS wrestling or its coach. But I know for a fact that over the last year WS lost its best wrestlers to neighboring towns. The Pirkles went to Emerald HS, and I heard the Mansfields will be going to BHP next year because they did not agree with WS HS coach. I know both families very well. Believe me that is a shame to lose those families from you're wrestling program. Cody and Connor Pirkle are both multiple time youth state Champs and All-americans and I think Cody has won the TOC in ohio. Trevor and Brody Mansfield have a few state titles between them as well and Trevor is a national champion plus I watched him last year sweep the Southeast regionals in freestyle and Greco. all four of these boys would have had a chance with WS at winning 1a/2a states all four years. Now Emerald and BHP are that much stronger!

We live in the Spartanburg area and I have brought my wrestlers to some of Coach Pirkle and Mansfield's practices in years past down in WS. Both of these guys are really good coaches. My opinion I think EGO is the problem in WS. If the administration or the Athletic Director Gave a darn about wrestling in WS and got a good, seasoned, and knowledgeable coach they would do a whole lot better. Heck WS probably ran off the two guys(Pirkle and Mansfield) that could have done a much better job! Matter of fact I believe both tried helping the current coach and both were ignored in a way. What a Shame

Good Luck Ware Shoals
Back to top Go down
LSO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: ware shoals   Fri 25 Mar - 11:35

this problem has been solved with the hiring of Lance Abernathy. I doubt he will be coaching wrestling at WS but as the AD he will put full support in the program....as the football coach I would expect to see many more athletes putting on purple singlets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
Nice!

PostSubject: About Time   Fri 25 Mar - 14:43

Isn't Abernathy from Chesterfield? Their program speaks volumes of successful wrestling. I sure hope he brings some of that tradition of excellence with him to WS.
Back to top Go down
LSO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: ware shoals   Sat 26 Mar - 14:02

correct. There is no excuse for Ware Shoals not to build a solid program. That program has a supportive AD that has won 4 state wrestling titles, as well as a principal whose son wrestled for three of those titles in Paul Anderson. Furthermore, Anderson is probably one of the nicest and most respected individuals I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Should be a good situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
Ronin

PostSubject: Re: ware shoals   Sat 26 Mar - 16:51

Dale Gilbert was the HS coach and relatively new to wrestling. He has an extensive knowledge of Judo, which in many situations was well applied to wrestling, but is not exactly the same. Never heard Dale speak ill of any individual and he was always a nice guy and encourager for the kids I saw him work with.
Sean Mansfield was coaching the youth team and has an extensive wrestling background. His knowledge of wrestling added a lot to the youth practices that we attended. Heard he had some medical issues this year and that he and his boys have been going to BHP for more kids to compete against. Not sure if he had any issues with Gilbert, but Sean has long said he will take his boys to the place that is the best for them to compete and learn. BHP is close to where he lives and has a lot of great kids for Trevor and Brody to work with.
Shane Pirkle has been around wrestling a long time and been a great youth coach. His transfer of Cody to Emerald done for the best interest of Cody's wrestling career and Emerald is a good school to get educated at. Pirkle is the only reason WS had a wrestling program. My understanding is that it was started with a lot of convincing to the AD and money raised by parents and volunteers. I do not see that the school supported wrestling and seemed to do little to encourage other athletes to come out for the sport. Pirkle is running a gym in Greenwood that teaches wrestling, BJJ, and other mixed martial arts and helping the Emerald wrestling program.
If WS has the right support from the AD and Principal, I could see them doing OK, but they do not have a strong youth program right now with the loss of Mansfield and Pirkle. WS is also a very small town.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ware shoals   

Back to top Go down

ware shoals
Page 1 of 1