Share | 

Zane Newton???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lex L.

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-08-04

PostSubject: Zane Newton???   Thu 23 Dec - 5:56

What happened to Zane Newton? I looked on the Citadel roster and he is not there anymore. Did he transfer or what? Exciting high school talent there. I hope he is still competing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guesto

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Thu 23 Dec - 8:54

Didn't you know that the Citadel is a graveyard for SC wrestlers?
Back to top Go down
c-lewis

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Thu 23 Dec - 9:24

that is the truest statement ever said on this website. they are the worst div. one team in history
Back to top Go down
Old Man

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Thu 23 Dec - 12:33

Zane tore his ACL last year and decided that it was time to hang up the shoes. He had just recovered from shoulder surgery at the beginning of the season and then he got hit with the injury bug again. He is still attending the Citadel though.
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Thu 23 Dec - 14:54

I'm sorry to hear about his injuries. He was fun to watch and seemed like a great kid. For the record, I always felt he would excel in the right program in college.
Graduating from the Citadel will provide him with a fantastic network of alumni in the lowcountry (should he choose to stay).

Best Regards and Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
upst8er

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Thu 23 Dec - 15:17

Sorry to hear about Zane's injury...Ironic, his brother Adam also tore an ACL this year just prior to the season at Anderson.
Back to top Go down
dsquires

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Fri 24 Dec - 19:19

Zane had an elbow injury last season and finally had surgery on it about 3 months ago and decided too give up wrestling for good. Great guy though.
Back to top Go down
TN

PostSubject: Zane   Sun 26 Dec - 12:00

Zane wrestled with a surgically repaired shoulder last season as a freshman at the Citadel. He went 10-10 and placed 2nd at Citadel Open. The main thing is that he proved to himself he could do well at division I wrestling if healthy. Zane tore his acl last february while wrestling and has had it repaired and has fully recovered. Zane had to have a second shoulder surgery this past September to repair labrum and rotator cuff and was advised (again) by the doctor to discontinue wrestling. he is still at the Citadel and doing well but he has wisely decided to heed th doctors advice. Thanks for your interest and concerns about him...
Back to top Go down
Jeff Brule

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Sun 26 Dec - 22:05

just curious about Zane, What school did he attend (hs) Year? I'm very new to the history of SC and appreciate the the info from those that know. thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
upst8er

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Sun 26 Dec - 23:04

emerald high school
Back to top Go down
NSwrestler(retired)

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Sun 2 Jan - 22:33

Jeff, Zane was a 3x state champion (3rd his freshman year) at Emerald
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff Brule

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Mon 3 Jan - 1:11

thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rbell

PostSubject: guesto & c-lewis   Sat 8 Jan - 22:45

U guys are idiots and clearly don't c the big picture
Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Sun 9 Jan - 8:31

rbell,
I don't know if that was a poorly phrased comment on your part or some crazy rant meant for something else. I am very critical of what people consider "good" wrestlers. There is no conceivable realm of reality that a sane person in SC could possibly question the talent of Zane Newton. Zane was a dynamic wrestler with a ton of upside for a college team. He apparently had some serious injuries that were too much to recover from. It happens to a lot of great kids that go all out all the time like Zane. If he needed to put things in perspective and take a step back from the competitive arena, then his decision should be FULLY supported. Zane gave a lot to the state of wrestling in SC and a lot to those of us that had a chance to watch him light people up. Even more impressive was that Zane came from a small school like Emerald that was not loaded like so many other places that routinely produce "good" wrestlers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rbell

PostSubject: sorry this was for guesto and c-lewis...   Sun 9 Jan - 11:25

sorry my bad, i put the names of who it was for in the subject...it was for Guesto and c-lewis...talking about citadel being a graveyard...not you guys posting, zane was one of my favorite wrestlers to watch the last few years!! outstanding talent, outstanding academics, and even better kid!!!
Back to top Go down
Guesto

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Sun 9 Jan - 17:05

Is final resting place more politically correct?
What is "the Big Picture" there? What is the plan? Lull all of the good teams into a false sense of security and maybe just maybe you'll catch them napping? Is this a 30 year plan? They get to implement that plan next weekend at the Lonestar Duals. I see on their schedule they will be wrestling the Sooners. Let's talk after that one.

The Citadel is a fantastic place to graduate from. Especially if you stay in the Charleston area as the networking amongst alumni is great.

HOWEVER, it has been shown time and again that quality SC wrestlers that go there with high division I inspirations, just don't reach their goals. Sorry to burst your bubble. Are they the worst program ever? No. But they do squander a lot of talent. How many All American's have they produced in the last 20 years of wrestling? One that I know of. How do the SC wrestlers conclude their careers while there?

Why don't they schedule Newberry? That would be a good time to showcase there stuff and build a solid in state rivalry. Don't give me the "They are Div II and it can hurt this or that blah blah." They just don't want to be embarrassed. Newberry, by the way does recruit in state guys and actually gets something out of them. How did the Citadel do with Matt Leach? I always wondered.

Before you call people idots, look in the mirror.
Zane was a great wrestler. Please don't let The Citadel ruin a thread about him.
Back to top Go down
rbell

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Sun 9 Jan - 22:06

guesto

im with you Zane is a great wrestler! Loved watching him the last few years and was very excited when he went to the citadel!! Would love to seen him the next few years be unleashed on the DI level. Im not bad mouthing Zane at all, I was bad mouthing you guys comments on The Citadel Wrestling Program.

#1 in the last 100 years or however long weve had a program weve only had one all american. but did you know that not until the late 90s was it a full time position, with money put into the program, and not until about 2002 did they actually start supporting the program with things needed to be a good program (travel budget, recruting budget, etc..)

#2 on the division 1 level where else do sc kids go and do these amazing things that your talking about that they cant do at the citadel? many sc kids go to the unc, ncstate, appy state, utc, and citadel with high aspirations and just dont pan out...they leave school...injury...its not just one school, its not just the citadel..its not just sc kids, your totally off base in your argument.

#3 I dont know why they dont schedule Newberry. Im sure if you call the citadel wrestling office and ask Rob Hjerling he would be happy to answer any of your questions about it...citadel doesnt recruit sc kids? they got plenty of sc kids on their roster. They get plenty of good stuff out of those kids too. I would love to hear what college you wrestled at, what your credentials were in high school and college and how you panned out. Did you go DI and win a national title? or DII or DIII??

#4 Matt Leach im not sure, again im sure if you catch him at a tourney he would be glad to talk to you about it...I think he left and went to clemson

#5 I look in the mirror everyday and no idiot here. Im telling you college wrestling is not an easy thing, you got to be all in or it will eat you up. Heck my career was cut short due to surgery, not because citadel wrestling, but just my body was done. The citadel has a great program, great tradition, and its getting better.

I guess APPY State must be the worst DI program right next to Davidson by your accounts because the citadel beat Appy St today 26-7 and Davidson earlier this year...

Back to top Go down
Lex L.

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Mon 10 Jan - 9:00

I don't think the Citadel is the worst school in Div I history. Just nearby, there is Campbell University.
Has the program produced the results that a lot of fans would like. No, they haven't. As a wrestling fan in Charleston, I wish they were able to get more guys to All America status and contending for a national title. It would be nice is they scheduled higher profile teams and even formed a bedlam type series with Newberry. For whatever reason, it just has not happened. I'm guessing that as a University, their priorities are probably just in a different place. It is a great school to be from if you are in the Charleston area.

Will that change? Who knows. It seemed like they were working towards that by bring in Plamen Paskolev. Plamen was a great resource and if implemented properly could have really helped the program. I know Plamen's heart was in freestyle and that just doesn't seem to be part of the equation at the Citadel like it is at most of the large Div I schools. I would like to see them support freestyle/greco and send some guys to University Nationals at least in the spring. Plamen left and took a great gig at Ohio State in the Olympic Regional Training center.

Several years back when UTC had Joe Seay and Sammie Henson, then Terry Brands, it was neat to see them come to town and wrestle the Bulldogs. Maybe if enough people request it, the staff there will try to schedule some tough home duals against some names. They are having the ALL-Academies at the Citadel Sun Feb 6th. Navy has some solid guys. Air Force and Army are coming around as well.

Bottom line is the Citadel is a great University. If your goals are a good military based education in a wonderful area like Charleston and you would like to wrestle in college, it is a viable option. That being said, any kid that has serious national title aspirations or world level goals, you should really look around and find the coaching staff and program that best fits your needs. That may be the Citadel, may be another Div school. Wrestling Division I is a total commitment. IF you have not dedicated yourself through high school and put in the commitment to compete at national events in the off season, then you probably do not have the commitment needed to be successful at the div I level. If that's the case you won't likely succeed wherever you go to wrestle. You may want to test the waters first and go the Div II route instead of jumping into Div I. Nothing wrong with that.

Any kid with high aspirations needs to find the right fit and make sure the coaches think you are a good fit. A lot of factors go into what translates into success at the next level. Some kids make the mistake of not really weighing their options. What does the school offer? How do you get along with the staff? Are they competent? Is their coaching philosophy in line with what you feel you need to get to the next level? What is your commitment level? If you don't research all of that heavily before making a decision with something as all-encompassing as wrestling in college, you will fail regardless of where you choose to go.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Fri 21 Jan - 13:48

First let me comment on what this thread is all about. I have only seen Zane wrestle a handful of times but was very impressed every time he took the mat. I hated to hear a great SC wrestler’s career was cut short due to injury. Very tragic!

Now, to the stabs…one in particular….the resentment toward the Citadel???? Not sure where that is coming from since Guest0 wants to remain anonymous. But from an outsider looking in…..sounds like someone has a personal issue with the School out of Charleston. I am not a graduate of The Citadel….nor did I ever attend The Citadel. But some statements made are unfounded and down right wrong. If you want to hate on The Citadel…..for whatever reason that is ok…Some people don’t like schools for their colors. And that’s ok. But if you are gonna hate them….don’t make comments that are plain and simple WRONG!

A couple of comments are: Citadel is a good school if you plan to stay in Charleston(lowcountry). Wow! Very near sighted comment. Almost laughable! I personally can say I have done Engineering work in all parts of the world for almost 20 years. Citadel Engineers are much respected and are very sought after. Look at some political figures. Not just in SC. You will find them there! Pick up a New York Times best selling novels……you will find Citadel Alumni there. President Universities…..all over the Country. World renowned Mathematicians. Ambassadors to countries like Australia, Peru, Brazil were graduates of the Citadel.

Hmmm…..a little outside the lowcountry don’t you think? This could go on all day….but I think I proved my point. A Citadel degree stands up all over the world.

How about we mention maybe one of the most respected careers….after ministry….Military. As you would expect there is a long list of Citadel Alum here. Do a little research and you may find some of the Citadel graduates have helped earn you the right to come on here and give your opinions. ……. Their all probably saying….”you’re welcome” right now.

Again, I am not affiliated with The Citadel. Not a graduate. Didn’t attend. In fact, when making my college choice I did not choose The Citadel. But you have to respect the institution. Do a little history, fact finding, etc. Do I agree with everything they do? Of course not! Are they worst D1 team. Again, a little fact finding would prove out otherwise. Would love to see a Newberry/Citadel rivalry crank up. You probably seen my post on scvarsity on how benefical it would be for our state! I wish the Citadel would make it a PRIORITY to win it’s home state in recruiting. That is a fundamental goal for recruiting….in any sport. Wish The Citadel would do this even if the argument is the low number of actual D1 talent in SC.

If you don’t like the school because of the mascot, colors, locations, whatever. Say it. Don’t try an unfounded smear campaign by anonymously posting. Just makes you look bad.

Now, the comment of The Citadel is a place where SC wrestler’s career goes to die. Again, opinion. I would think you 2A guys would be very proud of Royster’s career. Pretty sure he has his degree and beat a top 10 D1 guys. What about Oddo? Top ranked in the country in D1.

Tell you what…..look up a guy named Washington. From SC. Wrestled at the Citadel and you will realize had a pretty good wrestling career.

I will say Lex did make one good point. A kid has got to make a decision for what is best for him. The Citadel is not for everyone. But that statement is true every where. It’s a relationship. It takes both the kid…and the school to have success. There are many reasons kids don’t stay at a school. Injuries, grades, home sick, financial….etc. It’s not always the kid. Not always the school. There are tons of reasons! Just don’t make up unfounded facts about an institution that has done great things.

Here is what you are trying to sell:

We are sorry Mr. Darby. You can’t be Chairman of Pediatrics at Duke University. You’re Citadel Degree is only good for networking in Charleston SC.

I’m sorry Mr. Conroy…you’re not allowed to write a best selling Novel. Your Citadel degree is only good in the lowcountry of SC.

We are sorry Mr Totter. Your Citadel degree will not allow you to be a great Mathematician and write a scientific Theory recognized world wide.

We are sorry Mr. Jervey. You can’t play in the NFL’s pro bowl. You attended the Citadel!

See how silly this sounds?! Ridiculous!

Michael K Sanders
Back to top Go down
View user profile
S.Mansfield

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Zane is awesome!   Thu 24 Mar - 15:53

The entire Newton family are awesome people. Tommy their dad, is great person to be around, lots of positive energy. Adam,Zane, and their little brother Luke are all really good wrestlers and better yet really good people. Zane and Adam will turn out to be great assets to wrestling as coaches. If you ask them, as I have in the past. They put on some really great technique clinics. The Newtons ROCK!

The Citadel is what it is, a Military university that happens to be a Div.1 school. There wrestling program just like their football program will always be a little behind the bigger D1 schools. It comes down to recruiting! The coaching staff at Citadel is just as good as any university. But how many HS prospects want to go to college and be apart of a military tradition. Im sure that type of dedication today is rare. Would I let my sons go to the Citadel? Your darn right I would! It is a great school!

Now to D1 Vs D2 schools. There are plenty of D2 wrestlers that can compete and win at D1, Heck i know a few D3 wrestlers that could do very well at D1. Not only is talent a deciding factor to be a D1 prospect you have to have the right grades and work ethic to even be considered by a D1 0r D2 program.

Yes the Citadel is the only D1 program for wrestling in SC, But if we could find away to abolish Title 9 that would change over night. But a great alternative to SC wrestlers that want to stay in SC to wrestle in college, are some pretty decent D2 programs:NEWBERRY,LIMESTONE, AND ANDERSON! These D2 programs are pretty darn good! The word amongst D2 coaches is that the NCAA is considering letting D2's best wrestle in the D1 finals.

Jeff Blatnick won the Div 2 finals in 1978 and 1979 with a small school Springfield College out of Massachusetts, and in 1980 and 1984 made the olympic team, of course in 80' we boycotted the games, But in 1984 Jeff took gold in Greco-Roman being the first american in history to win the Olympics in greco. My point is that it does not matter where you wrestle in college just as long as you're willing to make the right sacrifices. Anyone can be the best in the WORLD!

There is no shame in wrestling D2 or D3 at the University level, I wrestled at a small D3 college and learned quite a bit about myself and wrestling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shayhay

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Mon 28 Mar - 22:38

I think it would be more satsifying to make a D2 or D3 squad and be able to compete and contribute than go D1 and be relegated to rolling mats. JMO.
Back to top Go down
LSO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Mon 28 Mar - 23:19

don't forget Carlton Haselrig...i bellieve he won multiple D2 and D1 championships.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newsite.sc2awrestling.com
mksanders

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   Tue 29 Mar - 9:14

Yes Hasselrig!!!! I have mentioned him a couple times on these boards.

And he won 6 Nationa Championship titles......Yes...you read that right.....S..I...X!!!!

3 D1 and 3 D2.

In fact, since the rule was changed a year or two after he accomplished this(winning both D1 and D2 titles) many refer to this rule change as the Hasselrig rule.

What a great accomplishment!

He also went on to play 5 seasons in the NFL....had a Pro Bowl or two seasons... wrestled internationally and dipped in MMA.

But WOW 6NCAA National Championship Titles!!!! Hard to beat!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zane Newton???   

Back to top Go down

Zane Newton???
Page 1 of 1